• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

AKfreak

150cc
That is a good guess, but nope. I was inquiring an ad on RCG, and got a PM notifying me that he has one for sale in Vegas. I said how much he said $175 with all the goodies so I drove as fast as I can to get it. I knew I wanted that plane for a while now, but I did not know it takes mini servos which really narrows the field of what you can put in it. $175 for the plane $280 for the servos (I might have to mod the plane to fit standard ones)

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
That is a good guess, but nope. I was inquiring an ad on RCG, and got a PM notifying me that he has one for sale in Vegas. I said how much he said $175 with all the goodies so I drove as fast as I can to get it. I knew I wanted that plane for a while now, but I dod not know it takes mini servos which really narrows the field of what you can put in it. $175 for the plane $280 for the servos (I might have to mod the plane

Then stop stressing, order some 5245mgs and spend $120, then go fly. :)

syspig

New to GSN!
Chris Hinson gave me the best solution for setting the gap between the pinned and the cowl that I have ever seen. Take some double sided foam tape and and stick it on the back side of the spinner. Slide the cowl into place, then mount the spinner back plate onto the motor and bolt it up snug. The carefully pull the cowl up and stick it to the tape so that it lines up perfectly. Then drill your holes, remove tape and you end up with a perfect 1/8" gap.

I just did something similar on my Laser 60 build, also worked great.

I screwed the nose cone screws in to the back side of the spinner base far as they would go, right up to the screw heads. Snugged up the spinner base plate to the motor, aligned the cowl with the tabs/trim lines and butted it up against the screw heads on the back of the spinner. Being 180 degrees apart, they kept the cowl clearance even all the way around.

Probably a little less than 1/8", but with this method you can set the gap wherever you want it by backing out the screws on the baseplate as needed.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Just be careful to not get too close! :) I had an 88" EF Extra 300 cowl flex in mid air and rubbed on the prop. Chipped some of the paint off the cowl... :cursing:

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
5245s work fine and are affordable. They aren't as fast as I like, but they get it done on a budget.

I recently discovered the bad rap the 5245MG has gotten for being sloppy is due to the servo arms we have been using. I switched from the Dubro heavy duty arms to the ones in the Hi Tec PN55709 pack and almost the slop is gone. My servos are a couple of years old and have been flown hard, but they have a lot less slop in them now that I've got tight servo arms on them.

hbollier

70cc twin V2
I will back up Doc on the arms. I was using the dubro arms on the elevator of an 80" sport plane. The arm moved on the output shaft making trimming near impossible. Forget adding a flap elevator mix. The servos I used with stock arms from the box are fine.