• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

Is that the huge one? I have tried the DA one, the EF one (which are basically the same), the secraft magnetic one (epic fail) and most recently the miracle square and triangle magnetic ones (also not great as the magenets don't hold). They all have issues. I will try out a JEM on the 74 Laser.

I have mostly been using ones custom made by one of my friends. The JEM looks similar.

AKfreak

150cc
I have the cowl All mounted and all of the cutting is doe for the DA-50 and exhaust pile. I think the Pitts style would be much easier, and if I ordered a spare cowl for this plane, I could do a much neater job of cutting it out.

15536539301_c49167b65e_b.jpg

I need to find more of the rubber O-rings for the 3mm bolts, they work nice for mounting a cowls. How does one strength the hole in the fiberglass cowl to keep them from wallowing out?

15352604689_9fc44c4db4_b.jpg

Here is how I ran the spark plug wire. Btw will denatured Alcohol hurt the paint on the cowl?

15536539011_edfd90b23c_b.jpg

This shows all the cutouts for the stock pipe. I hope I have clearanced it enough, I dont want to char the cowl, only time will tell.

AKfreak

150cc
Is that the huge one? I have tried the DA one, the EF one (which are basically the same), the secraft magnetic one (epic fail) and most recently the miracle square and triangle magnetic ones (also not great as the magenets don't hold). They all have issues. I will try out a JEM on the 74 Laser.

I have mostly been using ones custom made by one of my friends. The JEM looks similar.

No, it's is a tiny fuel dot really.
15353045128_5598d4df09_b.jpg

There is a little peg that press fits in the middle. The peg sticks out when installed, and it does not screw in or lock in to place.

15353043968_379fb6a606_b.jpg

The back is held in into place by gluing an O-ring to the fuse and the rear of the fuel dot.

15353182387_682c8690f1_b.jpg

When the peg is removed, the fill needle loosely fits where the peg press fits. There seems to be no o-ring to hold the peg into place. (The poor image is because I had to push up the shadows to see inside)

15353183057_f9e969e242_b.jpg

Needless to say the fuel Fill needle is lose fitting, and if the fuel dot was installed on the side of a plane, the fuel needle would fall on the ground unless you held it in place. That would make the task of filling the plane a pain in the neck. I suppose you could mount it vertically on the top of the cowl and let gravity be your friend.

I am using a two lines to my tank, if I get an air leak at the fill, my plane will dead stick. I just dont trust the design after seeing it in my hand. What do you think?

[video=youtube_share;zbALCN_rr78]http://youtu.be/zbALCN_rr78[/video]

Mods, if this post is too out of place, please move it, I would hate to further ruin this thread. AKf

AKfreak

150cc
Glue a washer on the inside of the cowl?

So you are saying to glue a washer inside the cowl. My worry isn't so much the mounting of the unit (although that gluing of the O-ring seems a little suspect). its the way the Peg just slides into place without locking, and there is no Airtight fit if that pin falls out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cancelled my EF 76/83" MXS order yesterday.

I was PM'd by a reliable source who owns the plane that he is not optimistic about how the plane/CG will handle a DA50 with a pitts muffler. I share his concern and will let others figure it out. I never found a good engine match for my EF 78" Extra and spent too much time and money trying.

The MXS is in every way bigger and about 1 lb. heavier than the 78" Extra. A DA35 will need a pipe to move it and by that time I might as well buy a 30% plane.

IMHO - EF should have made this plane for the DA50 there are plenty of them still around.

AKfreak

150cc
Jeff does fly with the 50. He also says its better or with a 35 on a pipe for the weight savings.

I will fly mine on a 50 and noise is not an issue. I got this plane specifically for my da 50. Now a days the DA50 is under powered on so many of the so called 50cc planes. I was going to get the EF Edge 540 but the da 60 is optimum for that plane.

I wanted crazy power and a great 3d plane for my DA 50 the MXS was the only real choice in my opinion. Its a stepping stone anyways.

My next plane will be a 35%we with a da120 or GP123. Then the world of options opens up to me.

Sorry for the typos, on the stupid cell.