• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 104 Extra

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
photo (1).JPGjust picked up a slightly used 104 with 7950th servos all around for a deal, only issue is the covering on the bottom of the plane came off due to smoke oil getting into the joints, is there a trick to making sure it is clean enough for the new covering to stick properly.

amstd7

70cc twin V2
Depending on the severity of the oil in the wood, you may could take and lightly sand the parts and put a coat of Coverite Balsarite from Tower Hobbies on the wood.
The part number is COVR2515. Hope this helps.

3dbandit

100cc
I heard from a very good pilot, that your rollers are the fastest he has seen. I promise this came from a world class pilot. So the Krill is flaty and flys slow. That is perfect for an idiot like me. LOL I have been looking at the Hangar 9 Extra 300, the Pilot Edge 540, the PAU 540, but never considered the Krill because of the price was out of reach. Yours just might be a real option for me.

BTW, did you get a Pull on Spencer's Extra at XFC?

No I didn't fly Spencer's extra, I didn't ask though. Herve is only a 2.5 hour drive from me so I will probably fly one of his before I purchase.

3dbandit

100cc
attachment.php

I bought a second 104 to replace my first one.

I set it up with the best components and glued everything I could reach.

On the 42nd flight, when I stopped rolling in a maneuver, the tail kept rotating and snapped off. All that was holding the tail on was my pull-pull cable. I was able to land it without damaging anything but the fuse.

I called EF and explained the story. They told me to email them pictures. I did. They responded saying that I must have had a poor setup (bad servos) which could have caused flutter, I didn't, my set up was perfect. I was persistent in making a point by calling them and emailing them for 3 weeks where I never received another email response and a lack of phone support. After 2 months of trying to resolve the issue, I was offered a SMALL discount on a fuse when it came in stock (which it hasn't, and its been 7 months).

I had such a bad experience that I do not want to purchase another new air-frame from them!

Also, they were very dishonest with me. They told me there were no modifications/reinforcements that need to be made to the plane. Having looked inside of their team pilots planes, it is obvious there are areas that need to be built up, reinforced, and re-glued. Their team pilots do this to thier planes. Showing a modified plane in shows, videos, and promotions, and then saying that the plane you buy is capable of the flying in the videos (out of box) pisses me off.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dbandit

100cc
what areas? not wanting to stir the pot, but I have a 104 on the bench and want to make sure that does not happen

In the tail.

Peel the covering off the bottom and wick CA into all the glue joint. add cross bracing. Reinforce where the cross pieces connect to the formers, and where any stringers and sheeting connect to formerss with stock, ca epoxy and micro-balloons....

also, where the last former connect to the tail with a flat plate, really get CA into that piece.

gyro

GSN Contributor
In the tail.

Peel the covering off the bottom and wick CA into all the glue joint. add cross bracing. Reinforce where the cross pieces connect to the formers, and where any stringers and sheeting connect to formerss with stock, ca epoxy and micro-balloons....

also, where the last former connect to the tail with a flat plate, really get CA into that piece.

Jacob, I'm going to move this discussion over to the 104 EF thread where it is more appropriate.

Can you say where/what you saw? Any other mods?

3dbandit

100cc
Jacob, I'm going to move this discussion over to the 104 EF thread where it is more appropriate.

Can you say where/what you saw? Any other mods?

I don't want to comment on specific individuals, but I did see some "differences".

Nothing was done that I didn't already mention in my previous post.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I don't want to comment on specific individuals, but I did see some "differences".

Nothing was done that I didn't already mention in my previous post.

This is kinda of disconcerting... I'm giving some thought to cutting open my 104 to reinforce it now.

I'm also interested to hear any thoughts/opinions/experiences from others with the 104. Anyone else out there notice any issues in the tails?