• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

esc for 70" extra

Maxster

New to GSN!
I need some advice on what esc to get. I have a hacker Hacker A60-6XS V2. Was going to go with a Castle but have read that they have issues with this motor?

What ESC should I go for?

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
ZTW Gecko. or and I know it's a CC but it is different "Talon HV 120"

ZTW Gecko's are great but have been known to have trouble with Motrofly motors. Trust me I lost my new EF 60" Yak a couple months ago due to the motor timing completely giving up. I had a Gecko 150a HV in my 71 Extra with the MF 4330 but it had horribly slow throttle response, so I replaced it with a Mezon.

The word from Altitude Hobbies is the that the problem is fixed but you'll need to update the ESC to make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
ZTW Gecko's are great but have been known to have trouble with Motrofly motors. Trust me I lost my new EF 60" Yak a couple months ago due to the motor timing completely giving up. I had a Gecko 150a HV in my 71 Extra with the MF 4330 but it had horribly slow throttle response, so I replaced it with a Mezon.

The word from Altitude Hobbies is the that the problem is fixed but you'll need to update the ESC to make it work.

Yes I know about the problem your talking about, I have been through it myself. Dude said he has Hacker A60-6XS V2, I haven't read about or know about any problems between ZTW and Hacker motors. Certainly don't want to send the guy down the wrong path though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the YEP esc's. They are a copy of the YGE esc's which are some of the top of the line esc's. There is the moral issue of buying copied stuff, but that's personal. I have 6-7 of them that I use in several of my planes and they are awesome in helicopters too. Supposedly they are a little more efficient too since they employ freewheeling which allows for part throttle usage which we use all the time in planes, more so than helis. Most esc's get kranky and warm when run at mid throttle. Anyway, check them out, reasonably priced and work pretty darn good for a lot of folks out there.

Maxster

New to GSN!
I a more worried about the compatibility to the 28 pole hacker. It seems a minefield in getting one that works!!

I hear ya, I'm not up to snuff on all the info and I am not running any 28 poles, but I've read on RCG that CC version 3.27 works with the 28 pole motors, and I think I read that you need one of the older phoenix models. I've had great luck with the Phoenix 85HV myself and currently using one. Maybe keep your eye out for an older Phoenix and not the Edge although I'm not sure on the edge.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Yes I know about the problem your talking about, I have been through it myself. Dude said he has Hacker A60-6XS V2, I haven't read about or know about any problems between ZTW and Hacker motors. Certainly don't want to send the guy down the wrong path though.

Wow, not keeping up, I thought it was an ESC for you 70 Slick with the 4330 motor..... my bad.