• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ES composite pipes

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
Good evening,

I am looking at picking up a 91" extra with a DA-70 and a set of pipes. My flying tends to be a mix of everything with a lot of hovering and some slow speed stuff. I'm curious how pipes affect the whole rpm range? For 3D will I be happier with stock mufflers? Where's the power and at with these pipes, or is it fairly even?

Jonathan

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
I guess I should make my question plain and simple. [emoji3]Would I be better off pulling the pipes out and ordering stock mufflers or just running the setup as is?

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I guess I should make my question plain and simple. [emoji3]Would I be better off pulling the pipes out and ordering stock mufflers or just running the setup as is?

If the pipes are already on there, give them a try. No sense spending time and money swapping them out if it works well as is. :way_to_go:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just FYI.....A lot of "low and slow" 3D flyers will choose in cowls over pipes because they are not looking for top end rpm. They want massive amounts of torque in the middle and lower rpm bands. I personally feel that canisters properly fitted actually aid in this goal and give a little better sound dampening. Hope this helps but your prop choice and a dozen other things will influence what you may deem as "lacking in" or "to much" as far as power. There is no easy way to find out what is best for you and your flying style. Trial and error prevails. I would give em a try just to see if I liked it or not and agree with what others have said.

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
Just FYI.....A lot of "low and slow" 3D flyers will choose in cowls over pipes because they are not looking for top end rpm. They want massive amounts of torque in the middle and lower rpm bands. I personally feel that canisters properly fitted actually aid in this goal and give a little better sound dampening. Hope this helps but your prop choice and a dozen other things will influence what you may deem as "lacking in" or "to much" as far as power. There is no easy way to find out what is best for you and your flying style. Trial and error prevails. I would give em a try just to see if I liked it or not and agree with what others have said.
Thanks a million! That's just the type of answer I was looking for. I will try them and see before I just rip them out though.

mikeh

70cc twin V2
From what you described your flying style is similar to mine. I'm currently flying the pipes on my Yak, although different motor. My yak is set up in a way that all my low and slow stuff is way under the power band or on the pipe. Try contacting Trevor Brum. He has a wealth of knowledge and data for pipes and motors. Header length and prop selection will be a big factor for that smooth throttle transition. Do some research and you will be very happy with the outcome.