• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Engine Gurus Unite -> I need HELP!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I don't get it, is there a nicer guy than you?

I really don't know Jody. But your not so bad yourself. Got to pack it in and go over to a friends house for some "swapping slime". We have got to have one someday my friend.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
49 Dimes -->
I'm working on the 55RA reed carrier now.
Got it fairly flat and true.

The reeds will show the coating around the edges with WD40, as you say to check for integrity, but don't
hold water :(

Do I stay at it until they hold water, or is the capillary action around the edges the tell tale?

Take care
Bob

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just use some 400 grit to polish the surfaces of the carrier. And yes you are seeing some wicking around the perimeter of the reed. When you are finished polishing rinse with water (I like warm because I am older) and dry with a paper towel. When you are happy that all residue or debris is free from the surface then spray a shot of WD40 and coat the surface. Allow the propellant in the WD 40 to completely boil off and give a good shake to get a uniformed film coating. Now gently place the reed on to the carrier and gently lift it straight up and off. Inspect the reed surface so that a film is seen around the reed more so inward than outward of the edges.

Hope this helps Bob
Kelly

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Also if you have an old piece of thick glass or mirror it comes in handy as a very flat surface to use on your work bench.

Jedijody

50cc
Personally, I don't try to get them to hold water. just flat with good even contact all the way around the reeds. The 55 reed cage is bigger than the 30 so if you fill it up there's more pressure pushing on the reeds. The reeds are about the same thickness and stiffness so the extra water pressure may not hold in the 55. With the water test, the pressure on the reeds is in the opposite direction than which they actually need to seal, I'd put more value on if they prevent water from leaking through the other direction (crankcase side).

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Thanks Jody
I've been working on this thing and it's making me crazy.
I'm going to hit it once more with 400 and 600 and call it a day.

Take care
Bob