• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

EF Extra 300 104"

gyro

GSN Contributor
It came out ok, was just a lot of work.
I had to make some holes in the ailerons to get the junk out, so I've got a little patch work to do.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388947571.137732.jpg

Hinge gap at the ends came out ok.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388947603.921744.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388947649.502799.jpg

Well, one wings hinges got messed up. Some how, (I suspect I didn't do good enough Vaseline application) about 4 hinges got epoxy in them and wouldn't bend...

Oh man, that's a real bummer. I had the same thing happen to me.., once:) In my case it was the result of cleaning off excess uncured epoxy with alcohol. I inadvertently got the thinned epoxy mixture on several of the hinges pivot and it obviously penetrated into the knuckle gluing it tight. It was indeed a pain having to spend time to correct. The soldering iron trick is a gem.

Looking forward to you maiden flight report.

Byron C.

Last edited by a moderator:

nebwake

70cc twin V2
That's why I use white gorilla glue. Never had a hinge come out on my 40% pilot. After you glue, simply use a q-tip with alcohol on it for 10 minutes or so wiping the over flow and you are good. If a bit gets into the hinge it will break away after its dry with a little flexing.

i like that tape idea to protect the control surface bevels from excess epoxy. i just did my first robart hinging this year and i think it was a chris jewett build video that talks about once you have epoxy in the hole and on the pin hinge you push the pins in only halfway and then wipe off excess and then push in the rest of the way. that helped me a lot because it significantly reduces the amount of excess epoxy that gets near the actual hinge. i do think that triflow/liquid lubricant helps protect the hinge a little better also since it soaks the hinge versus vaseline doesn't really seem to get in there well.

Well, one wings hinges got messed up. Some how, (I suspect I didn't do good enough Vaseline application) about 4 hinges got epoxy in them and wouldn't bend... Luckily the other wing and both elevators came out fine.

So I spent a fair amount of time last night with the soldering iron and drill, and removed what I could of the old hinges, and drilled out the holes.

I got the aileron rehinged last night, and I'll attach it to the wing this morning.

Big bummer overall, but I think I'll be able to hide the damage with some ultracote hinge sealing.

RKEstes

50cc

Attachments

• IMG_20140107_083159_234[1].jpg
    IMG_20140107_083159_234[1].jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 364

Airwayman

New to GSN!
Yikes, big bummer. I always clean my fingers and the hinges with alcohol. Then I carefully bend them and apply one drop of 30 wt. motor oil to the hinge line being very careful not to get any oil where it shouldn't be. Even then, when the epoxy is dry, there usually is some epoxy that gets into the hinge area. But, since it's oily it's easy to pick out the epoxy crumbs with a No.11 Xacto knife.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yikes, big bummer. I always clean my fingers and the hinges with alcohol. Then I carefully bend them and apply one drop of 30 wt. motor oil to the hinge line being very careful not to get any oil where it shouldn't be. Even then, when the epoxy is dry, there usually is some epoxy that gets into the hinge area. But, since it's oily it's easy to pick out the epoxy crumbs with a No.11 Xacto knife.

Great advice and technique. I've been pretty happy with the Vaseline in the past, and in retrospect remember the epoxy was starting to get warm a little as I was doing the last few hinges. I think I just ran out of time.