• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

EF Extra 300 104"

amstd7

70cc twin V2
I have a Spektrum AR9020 which has an operating voltage of up to 9.0v.
I am planning on using a Smart Fly power expander with 2 li-ion packs.

Can you use HV Servos with this setup,
and if so are there any specifics that I need to know about?

Appreciate any help, Thanks

gyro

GSN Contributor
Why use an expander? Keep it simple, batteries to rx, program all servos in radio.

Maybe since it's not one of the power safe receivers, he wanted a way to get battery sharing/redundancy. I would have done the same, but I'm using an AR9120 DSMX powersafe receiver.

With a 9 channel rx, there also isn't enough open ports to plug the 2-3 jr plugs in to carry power into the rx.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I guess I've been doing Jr 921 on 40% cardens with just regulators, it's redundant, 2 switches, 2 batteries. Never lost a plane ever on electronics.

amstd7

70cc twin V2
Thanks Kevin for the info, still undecided on the power system,
I guess true redundancy is one of my main concerns.
On your 104, how is the ignition
system set up? Thanks Again

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got some build progress done today.
Many thanks to [MENTION=413]Brian Yak Dude[/MENTION] for coming by and helping out with the cool tape idea and getting some work down on the 104!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388701997.439133.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388702024.355291.jpg

All hinges except removable rudder are now done!

our ignition has it's own battery run through a sparkswitch which can be turned on or off with the transmitter. they work great but i have also used an ibec to avoid the extra battery also. either would probably be fine.
here is a link to the sparkswitch device
http://www.powerbox-systems.com/en/produkte/zubehoer/schalten-und-regeln/sparkswitch.html
and here is a link to the ibec i've used in the past
http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
personally i like the ibec best because it's one less battery to worry about but if your ibec fails.......

amstd7

70cc twin V2
I appreciate all the good info and the links I'm sure with all of this I will be able to make a decision on which way to go.

Thanks Kevin

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, one wings hinges got messed up. Some how, (I suspect I didn't do good enough Vaseline application) about 4 hinges got epoxy in them and wouldn't bend... Luckily the other wing and both elevators came out fine.

So I spent a fair amount of time last night with the soldering iron and drill, and removed what I could of the old hinges, and drilled out the holes.

I got the aileron rehinged last night, and I'll attach it to the wing this morning.

Big bummer overall, but I think I'll be able to hide the damage with some ultracote hinge sealing.