• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dual rates

robj

70cc twin V2
Joe, what Rate and Expo would you recommend for a T-28. Thanks

Welcome shoe!

I've had a few of those and if you are just starting out stick with a low rate and no expo. You'll probably quickly move to high rates(high rates on a T-28 are not the same as high rates on an 87" Extra). Still at high rates you really don't "need" expo. But if you move up to more aerobatic planes, you will need expo. I still have one I fly around the house and have everything on max rates and about 25% expo.

To get the feel for expo on a T-28, start with about 10-15%. I started with 20% the first time and thought I was going to crash! brain/thumbs/plane were out of sync! One of those "the plane should be moving by now!".

If you wanted to start with low rates and 15% expo you'd probably be better off in the long run. It'll help smooth out the flying on that T-28.

Good luck,
Rob

Joe, if I bring mine to another fly in where I see you...I'll let you fly my T-28! :D

robj

70cc twin V2
Hey Rob,

Thanks a bunch for answering this question!! I will definitely take you up on the offer to fly the T-28 :D

Joe

My T-28 will look like you flying Bigfoot after about 2 minutes! I did mod one with full ailerons, maxed out to the max everything else. You could probably work with that one. But lost it when a servo locked up.

Joe-
Expanding further on the first question, do you like to set up your dual rates on one switch or as individual control surfaces?

robj

70cc twin V2
Lets dust off this thread. So is a snap rate somewhere in the middle of high and low? Or perhaps a combo of the 2.

dskuro95

100cc
The lower rate is usually around 35-45% expo and high rate is usually around 60-65% expo. I am constantly tweaking the expos to get the rates to feel the same around center though. You shouldn't be able to tell what rate you are in by just flying around the pattern.

I agree with you Joe. I also have 3 different rates depending what I am flying. For IMAC I use low rates because I tend to be hard on the sticks so this helps me a lot. But when I 3D I have full rates so I can get most energy out of a manuver. Lastly, when I am doing my freestyle or practing for the King 50 this year I use high rates(middle rate) and full rate back and forth so I can flow with music and so I don't under or over do anything.
Hope this helps!

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I agree with you Joe. I also have 3 different rates depending what I am flying. For IMAC I use low rates because I tend to be hard on the sticks so this helps me a lot. But when I 3D I have full rates so I can get most energy out of a manuver. Lastly, when I am doing my freestyle or practing for the King 50 this year I use high rates(middle rate) and full rate back and forth so I can flow with music and so I don't under or over do anything.
Hope this helps!

How do you determine low, medium(high), and full rates? Is high rates your snap rate and full is all you can get or do you use the mfg recommendations? What about low?

dskuro95

100cc
I honestly usually don't go by the manufacturer recommendation. I just kind of set them up to my liking. For low, I usually make it so I still have a decide push pull rate on the rudder but it is not very fast and a nice roll rate. For the high rate, I have it set for nice fast roll rates and quick push pull. Then my full rate is almost as far as the surfaces will move(not all of time but on some of the planes). This gives me really fast snaps, ultra fast rolls, and very quick turn maneuvers. If you want PM me and I will go more into detail.

How do you determine low, medium(high), and full rates? Is high rates your snap rate and full is all you can get or do you use the mfg recommendations? What about low?