• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

I was able to finally install the cowl, and all my measurements came out real well.

I am really starting to like this kit even more now, and can now appreciate the complexity of the build, but give it full merit, as I feel this is an incredibly well designed airplane. I feel honored to be able to build it. This was always a dream of mine, to one day, build a Carden, and today, for the 1st time, I am really feeling blessed and lucky to be doing so. You will understand why soon!!!

These mods, are not from the plans. I used the advice from Dean @Fixed Wing

I am using these Ohio super star threads. There are 4 screws that fix the bottom cowl to the fuselage. 2 on each side.

IMG_2263.JPG

i then sanded the corners down smooth, and it is looking real good!

IMG_2260.JPG

i then installed the top cowl, and then drilled from inside the fuselage into the hard point of the top cowl. Then I glued in a Tee Nut for a 6-32 screw.

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

some of the screws were installed

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

this is a test run of the turtle deck on the fuselage.
IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG

the plans have these templates and they work great! really made it a breeze to do this step. Once i cut out the piece from the tail end of the turtle deck, then I used a round dowel wrapped with sand paper to do the finishing smoothing out.

IMG_2269.JPG

I weighed the fuselage, with the cowl and turtle deck, and so far, 9 pounds. Not bad i guess..
IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG

OK, before gluing on the turtle deck, two things need to be done:
you must add a 1/16th balsa thick, 3/4" wide strip to the top of the fuselage, according to the plans.
then, I obtained these super light weight, rocket tubes, and glued them together. Since this airplane may have a tendency to be tail heavy, I will place the radio system, in front of the fuel tank. That way, my batteries do not have to be as forward.

Here are the rocket tubes Size BT 50
IMG_2272.JPG

this is the forward fixation point. One tube for the rudder extension leads, and the other tube for the elevator leads.
IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG

this is the tube for the rudder servos.
IMG_2276.JPG

here is the tube for the elevator servo leads....
IMG_2277.JPG

Ok, here it is....

:brian-banana:

the turtle deck has been glued on. Now, just waiting for it to cure.
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG

It is starting to look like an airplane now!
IMG_2281.JPG

Got back yesterday from the Sherman 20 year straight of IMAC contests!! WOW, what a blast. Got my butt kicked, but, I had plenty of fun and laughs. Well worth it.

I am starting on building the hatch. I have made two of most for now, so that it saves me time. Here is the back plate for the hatch..

once has had more finishing on it than the other one. The bottom and top are matched to the cap on the turtle deck.

IMG_2306.JPG

the one on the bottom of the picture has been bevelled to match the lines of the fuselage.
IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

here are the sides, one is bevelled. the other still needs more work.
IMG_2304.JPG

I also made some tabs for the screws that hold it on..
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG

there are several of the pieces that need to be recessed to make up for the thickness of the canopy. The rear cap is one.

the black marking is where I need to smooth out, to account for the canopy thickness.
IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2310.JPG

I then cut out some of the inside. As an aside, this is a deviation from the plans. The plans call for a 1/4" balsa cap, but I made mine laminated 1/4" balsa + 1/8" lite ply.

IMG_2311.JPG

Once I cut out the middle, i used this as a template for the other cap.

IMG_2312.JPG

Once it was all smoothed out, now you can see the fit:
IMG_2313.JPG

this is the side view...
IMG_2314.JPG

i then marked the center point.
IMG_2315.JPG