• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

I am back!!
LOL

ok, this is a bit complicated,and I will try my best to explain what I have done. Reading other Carden build threads, I have come across some interesting reading from the great builders, whereby, they have predrilled the hinge line, prior to glueing on the LE and TE of the hinge line.

For the rudder, it requires that the LE and TE be 3/8" thick balsa. Then, I cut the rudder from the fin....

IMG_2413.JPG

as you can see from the plans, it requires that the hinge line have two 3/8" thick balsa that are laminated together, to make 3/4" on the LE and 3/4" on the TE of the rudder hinge line.
Hope I am not confusing anyone with this. Therefore, the hinge line has a gap that is 3/4" + 3/4" = 1.5"

I have laminated two sets of 3/8" balsa that is 2.2" wide., for a distance of 3/4" ....

IMG_2414.JPG

once each set of 3/8" + 3/8" (3/4" thick) laminate is dry, then I drew a center line on both the front and back side of each of the two. SO one of these will be the TE of the fin, the other one will be the LE of the rudder.

This should clarify it for you all....
IMG_2415.JPG

Pretty self explanatory! ;)

the bottom and top of them are aligned...
IMG_2416.JPG

top view...
IMG_2417.JPG

i then used the plans to see where the hinge points are recommended, looks like 7.
I then made sure that the both laminates were aligned, and drilled the top hole, pegged it, then drilled the bottom most hole, and pegged it, then I drilled the other 5 holes. Now, both laminates have the holes in line with each other!

IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_2419.JPG

just to demonstrate how on the other side, my line was correct!

IMG_2420.JPG

I then burned holes into the foam, and also drilled two more holes to fill with wood dowels, and once I glue them in, it will guide the laminate to the fin or rudder so that it remains inline...

IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG

Should be fun to see how it turns out...

I just applied the glue to the fin, it is "cooking". Will check back when I get home from work, and will post a picture.
Once that is on there, I can glue on the turtle deck. then turtle deck front cap, then I can work on the canopy/hatch, and then both fuselage will be caught up. After that, then cut out ailerons and elevators, hinge them, bevel them, install servo boxes, and then cover and paint, will probably be done by February or so.

just glued on the turtle deck and working on making the front of the turtle deck with a cap. I have already made the back of the canopy.

IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG

I will try my best, so please bear with me on this one. There are not too many build threads on the Carden Pro, 124". There is an active thread on FG, and one other build thread from several years back. Then, on here, there is the one from Primo, and on the IMAC website, I saw one that was brief. SO, I was a bit stumped on the build of the hatch area, and after reviewing the other threads, I was able to come up with my interpretation of how it is built. I do want to point out that the master builders, so it differently, and have modified the plans, to where it can be done that the hatch is not even painted. But covered instead. In any event, I do not have that skill, so here goes &*^%$$:

Step 1: Use a 1/4" thick balsa for the front cap of the hatch area, then cut to shape.
IMG_2431.JPG

i left it a bit proud, so that I can then sand flush with the top of the foam sheeted area.
IMG_2432.JPG

#2.: obtain a piece of 3/8" x 1/2" basswood, for the front of the hatch support..
IMG_2433.JPG

this was made slightly larger than the diameter of the fuselage, to allow for sanding down to the fuselage sides.

#3: prepare the hard points for the 6-32 screws and the 6 x 1/8" ply hatch hold down tabs.
IMG_2434.JPG

I then installed another piece of round 1/8" plywood with a 6-32 T-nut, and glued it together. I also made a drill guide for the hole position on the fuselage sides.

IMG_2435.JPG

#4. obtain the 3/8" by 1/2" x 36" basswood side rails, and sand the front edge to the angle of the forward support.
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2437.JPG

#5. Drill the holes on the fuselage sides for the canopy screws. total of 6.
IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG

#6. I then measured and marked the location of where the rear end of the foam hatch is.
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG

#7. Now, it is getting more complicated. Several ways to do this step, You can either place the basswood flush with the fuselage side and then sand the area down where the canopy will adhere to, or set the whole thing in by 1/16th inch, and build up the front aspect.
Once the tabs are temporarily on, you can see how the fuselage side is flush with basswood side rails.

IMG_2442.JPG

#8. next is to mark the location of the 6 tabs on the basswood side rails...
IMG_2443.JPG

#9, remove it from the fuselage, and now remove 1/16th of an inch from the inside of the side rail...
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2448.JPG

this area was then filed down smooth.

#9. Now, remount the side rail, and inspect the displacement in..
IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

I like it..

#10. Mark where the back end of the foam hatch goes, and then build up forward to this with 1/16th balsa.
IMG_2451.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2453.JPG

to be continued, have to go get my daughters from school.