• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Well today was the Ascenders first trip to the flying field. All I planned on doing was some high speed taxies down the runway to get the feel of the nose steering. As it turned out things went as planned, it seems to track straight as an arrow and with just a very short full power run it accelerated like a rocket so I don't think there is any shortage of power. After 5 minutes of running up and down the runway I stopped and checked the batteries and found them to still be at 80%, so that's another good bit of news.
If the weather is good this Friday will be "show time"!
1012161024.jpg
1012161026.jpg
1012161039a.jpg

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Hey Jag,
I am really trying to stick to my flight test plan. I wanted to be sure that the model would track straight and the steering was not to sensitive. After 6 takeoff runs I felt comfortable keeping it straight down the runway but did not want to risk flying it with an "unknown" run time. Remember this is the second Ascender that I've built over almost a 4 year period, no need to rush it now. (And yes, I'm scared)
Next time I'll taxi out and blast off with a full charge, and then we'll see if it's an airplane!

Last edited: