• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

JeffH

New to GSN!
You probably want to ditch the zinger prop. Get an APC Electric or Xoar, or any one of the props designed for electric use. They have a thinner profile, more efficient airfoil and are much better suited to the profile of an electric power system. Your thrust will go up for a given amp draw, or you can get the same thrust at a lower amperage, either way is a win.
I am sure that you have realized that one of the pluses of electric power is that you do not have to worry about getting pusher props, just reverse two motor leads and and use a normal prop.

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Hi Jeff,
I decided to run a normal prop instead of a pusher, this will give me a bunch more prop choices if this silly thing flies. Thats the cool thing about electric as you know, I can make it turn either way.
I am going to do the test flight with the Zinger only because I have one, once again if the thing flies I will look at making a good choice of prop for the electric set-up. I would just hate to break a good prop with this thing, of course the prop and motor are at the tail which may save them during the impact!

JeffH

New to GSN!
I can see your point. I like to use the good stuff up front, power system wise, so that I know what I am dealing with. If it barely flies with a good prop and batteries, then I know I need more testing before I do the detail work. Conversely, if it is stupidly overpowered, you know you can add some weight and also fly at a lower throttle setting. Of course, if it flies with a Zinger, it should fly with anyting :way_to_go:

Reactions: Abe

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Say what you will about Zinger, I have one model that loves a Zinger 20 X 8 prop. I have tried 5 other brands and my Lublin's rate of climb really suffers with anything other than a Zinger. Maybe it's because it flies so slow? It's 23lbs, spans 132", and is powered by a Saito FG36, Just saying.....

Q1.jpg

Last edited: