• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Connectors; ESC to Battery. What Are You Using And Why?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Its a crimp connection vs. a solder connection...me and large wire solder joints just don't get along...I like the PPs

So what amp are you using? Seems most are using 45A PP's and I don't quite get the rating system when you look at a EC5 rated at 120A

SnowDog

The 45amp...and there have been posts on this from about what those numbers really mean. I do need to clarify my, because I am using power poles on 6270 airplanes and smaller. I used a larger power system I might use the 75 powerpoles

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Mike thanks for your information. The only Anderson PP I have seen was the one that came with my DA engine. I liked the way it felt but I am also told from DA that everyone immediately removes them. If you go to the source this pdf is from Andersons which the below chart is from for the 45A PP. According to this document the 45A PP is rated with 10 gauge wire for about 15 seconds. 12 gauge wire drops all the way down to 2.5 seconds. This is what has kept me away from them and why I am looking at the EC5. Now with that said I know many are getting away with running more amp than that with them just as some claim to be running 90-100 amps on a Deans. I get so confused with this crap. I have no problems with soldering which is why I still lean on the EC5's

Region capture 4.png

wedoitall

Won't that melt a lot of wire? Do you have a video?

Not at all. I'll put the bullets in my helping hands. Heat bullet up with torch, put solder in bullet, wave torch back over to make sure she is still nice and hot, then put wire in hot bullet. When I first put wire in bullet I give the wire alil twist and the don't move the wire until bullet has cooled down just a fuzz. If I'm putting bullet into an ec5 or ec3 connector I'll install it while it's still warm, goes I'm the connector easier.

heat is the key to not having a cold solder. Only thing I'll use my soldering iron on(I have a good one) is to tin the wires and wire to wire solder for leads and extensions.

cyclenut

30cc
EC5s on the 6s packs and xt60s on the 3s packs. The xt60s were a pain to solder till I figured out that I could plug the companion connector in and it would hold the 2 connectors in place. Prior to that I always had a hard time heating them up to melt the solder without the plug material going soft, and they would end up crooked. The EC5s have been a lot easier to work with, but I have had 1 or two where the plastic housing had started to split requiring me to replace just the housing. I use both battery sizes in helis and planes. In the 700 size heli I have seen 120 amp spikes, but for short duration. The avg flight will average out somewhere in the 80 amp range for the duration of the flight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well I am officially switched over to EC5's. Piece of cake to do. I used a 1/4" tip for higher heat on my 40w Weller and after the first one I tried switching to silver solder and it was still easy so I finished them using it. Connectors are a little tight but I hear that is the case and loosen up later.

I also ordered the EP Buddy 40A Paraboard with the EC5 connectors on to save a little space from my MPA board. I will be selling my MPA board for $45 shipped if anyone want's it before I post it here and on RCG.

I like the mechanical connection aspect of power-poles. Spring loaded contacts don't need an obnoxious amount of friction to stay connected. If you leave the housings separated, you don't need a series harness. I know people have issues with the A rating, I don't. At least I don't until my plane explodes. Of course, I say the same for my off brand Deans and ECs.
If there's a common sense reason for converting, it's that I'd rather spend 2 seconds making a world class crimp on a PP than drench 63/37 into a 10GA cable basically hoping there are no pockets in the strands of wire. I invariably flow solder beyond the joint itself and I don't like making the wire rigid beyond the connector. If your cable is too small for the PP contact, eg on your charging leads, one can flow solder into the joint after crimping.
EC5s are awesome though. All the cool kids are using them.

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
I curse EC5s enough every time I have to remove one that I'll never use them. I just switched everything except my 2S and 3S packs to xt150s.