• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bavarian Demon Cortex

Fast3D

50cc
Fast3D
I see you own an EF MXS. My first 60" was an EF Edge. That thing is SOOOO stable and easy to learn 3D on!

When I got the MXS it frankly was a handful for me. While doing 3D it has the ability to capitalize on small pilot error in a BIG way. I was often having the snort scared out of me by the plane reacting quickly and violently to my mistakes. I also lost a couple due to that.

After installing the Cortex I fell in love with the MXS! It smoothed everything out for me and at high gain it slowed the plane's reaction time down just enough to allow my brain to keep up with it. I now prefer the MXS to the EDGE!

Yes I do have the MXS and I really enjoy it (the one on the picture crashed after controls locked after a full throttle blender!! still dont know why; so I bought another one :) ). Actually, I felt comfortable with MXS from the first flight and its responsiveness is not bothering me really. I like high energy fast snaps and tumbles much more than slow and low stuff. KE spin really is my most favorite. So with the cortex, you think the MXS will not be tumbly anymore?? I hope not. Its just the rolling harrier that is really hard for me to master. lack of practice of part of it but I am really hoping that the cortex might help. Cheers.

Fast3D

50cc
Just slow your fingers down. People think I am crazy when I say that but it really helps out

Yeah great advice. I start off slow then I end up with riffle rolls :) --unintentionally. I think the timing for my rudder input is wrong...I don't want to change the topic of this thread to rolling harrier and will try to figure it out as I practice more. but this is the only reason cortex caught my attention.

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
with the Cortex, the gyro's effect diminishes to zero as the stick go to the extremes, so tumbles are not effected at all,

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Fast3D, what ESC/ BEC were you using when you crashed your MXS? What servos? My guess is that during the full throttle blender the BEC may have been over taxed by all the servos going to max all at once and then having all that air pushing on the servos. The amps coming through the BEC would be maxed out. The BEC may have just sagged under the pressure.

Also, try putting your ailerons on a low rate and leave your rudder and elevator on medium high rate. If you can cause the plane to rol fairly slowly without damping the ruffed and elevator throws down, you may find it easier to get your timing right.

Fast3D

50cc
Fast3D, what ESC/ BEC were you using when you crashed your MXS? What servos? My guess is that during the full throttle blender the BEC may have been over taxed by all the servos going to max all at once and then having all that air pushing on the servos. The amps coming through the BEC would be maxed out. The BEC may have just sagged under the pressure.

Also, try putting your ailerons on a low rate and leave your rudder and elevator on medium high rate. If you can cause the plane to rol fairly slowly without damping the ruffed and elevator throws down, you may find it easier to get your timing right.

I had ICE Lite 100, CC BEC -it was not BEC pro and I didnt think I would need bec pro!, JR 9411 HV. i think I had the setting to 7.4 or 8.
I tried that long time ago and then I think I asked few good 3d pilots and they told me to use high rate on the ailerons so I went back to high rate.

arkie

30cc
Hello all,

So happy I found this thread. I recently purchased a Cortex to put in my 72†Extra 330sc. I bought because I find myself not flying when there is much wind. I put the gyro in my Twisted Hobbies Extra Slick foamy. I was really impressed with how it stabilized especially in the wind. So I was readying my 72 Extra for the Cortex. Then a new plane come into the picture and so I need some opinions. I would like to learn some intermediate 3D maneuvers.

Gyro: I decided to order the 48 Edge after you flew with Ryan and Bryan and we talked on another thread the other day. It came in last night and now I wonder which plane to put the Cortex. Should I fly the Edge for a while without the gyro or go ahead in put it from the beginning (after getting it trimmed out)? Did you have any trouble getting the receiver and gyro on that small tray behind the wing tube?

Did I read you set it on a 3 position switch which went from Off - Low Rate - High Rate but no HH

dskuro: How do you like it in your Extra? Is it gas or electric? I am using a DLE35RA with about 1.5 gallons through it.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

I am going to do my first build log on the Edge on 3DRCFORUM. Any recommended spot to put the build.

Lee

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hello all,

So happy I found this thread. I recently purchased a Cortex to put in my 72” Extra 330sc. I bought because I find myself not flying when there is much wind. I put the gyro in my Twisted Hobbies Extra Slick foamy. I was really impressed with how it stabilized especially in the wind. So I was readying my 72 Extra for the Cortex. Then a new plane come into the picture and so I need some opinions. I would like to learn some intermediate 3D maneuvers.

Gyro: I decided to order the 48 Edge after you flew with Ryan and Bryan and we talked on another thread the other day. It came in last night and now I wonder which plane to put the Cortex. Should I fly the Edge for a while without the gyro or go ahead in put it from the beginning (after getting it trimmed out)? Did you have any trouble getting the receiver and gyro on that small tray behind the wing tube?

Did I read you set it on a 3 position switch which went from Off - Low Rate - High Rate but no HH

dskuro: How do you like it in your Extra? Is it gas or electric? I am using a DLE35RA with about 1.5 gallons through it.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

I am going to do my first build log on the Edge on 3DRCFORUM. Any recommended spot to put the build.

Lee

View attachment 22078

Hi Lee,

I had initially set it up on a 3 position switch like Bryan has, but I then moved it over to a dial switch like Dan recommended, so that I could figure out at what gain amount (0-100) worked the best. Once I have it completely dailed it, I'll move it back to a toggle switch, with 1- being on, 2- being off, 3- being heading hold.

If you ever plan on using the cortex in your Edge, just do it from the start. It's such a huge improvement on a small plane that allows it to fly in just about any wind.