• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Basic engine tuning.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I'm guessing rich on low. Check out the low needle tuning in fist post and try that. Also make sure the little idle set screw in the carb is removed.

@jhelber08 sounds like an ignition or possible IBEC as well. What type of IBEC do you have? If you have one, I would try an ignition swap first though.

Techaero Ibec. I do have a spare twin da ignition and that is the first thing I plan to try when I get back from offshore...just didn't have time to do it as it was the morning I was leaving for work :( I also have a few brand new Ibecs as well since I was planning to convert all my planes over at some point.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've never heard of a tech aero doing that but I have heard of others with the blinks light and miss. With the surfaces twitching though sounds like you may have gor one with a bad filter? Hmmmm.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I'm guessing rich on low. Check out the low needle tuning in fist post and try that. Also make sure the little idle set screw in the carb is removed.

@jhelber08 sounds like an ignition or possible IBEC as well. What type of IBEC do you have? If you have one, I would try an ignition swap first though.

Still easier, hook a freshly charged pack (maybe a 2S Life/A123) directly to the ignition. If you still have the same issue you've at least eliminated the IBEC.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Still easier, hook a freshly charged pack (maybe a 2S Life/A123) directly to the ignition. If you still have the same issue you've at least eliminated the IBEC.

Run straight off a battery and twitching and blinks stop but engine still won't go past 1/2 throttle. So I'm leaning towards a funky ignition with the glitching that's occurring. Changing needles didn't have any effect.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yes, I re-read and absolutely plug in a battery direct to ignition. I read the post quick and assumed that is what you did. That would eliminate the IBEC right away.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Yup...tried that. Engine still doesn't run right but the twitching goes away and the Ibec light stays on (even though I wasn't running through the ibec)...that's why I'm leaning towards ignition.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Actually lots of good info here but I think this thread should have been closed after Terry made the first post. His tuning guide somewhat assumes that the engine is going to start and run correctly. If there are other issues that prevent this then then you won't even get the chance to follow his tuning guide.

I'd like to see a thread start/develop that provides a "logical" process to trouble shoot an engine that has issues. A new engine, recently repaired, first start after sitting in a box for an extended period, etc. can all have issues not related to being tuned correctly. I know it is a process of elimination but where is a good starting place and what is the step-by-step flow?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Actually lots of good info here but I think this thread should have been closed after Terry made the first post. His tuning guide somewhat assumes that the engine is going to start and run correctly. If there are other issues that prevent this then then you won't even get the chance to follow his tuning guide.

Closed, Seriously??

I'd like to see a thread start/develop that provides a "logical" process to trouble shoot an engine that has issues. A new engine, recently repaired, first start after sitting in a box for an extended period, etc. can all have issues not related to being tuned correctly. I know it is a process of elimination but where is a good starting place and what is the step-by-step flow?

Go for it, I'm not going to but go ahead and start the separate thread. This thread was started to assist with all the basic tuning questions because 95% or more of engines will run right out of the box but not run correctly until tuned.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Closed, Seriously??

Well yes. Your guide is as good as I've seen. If the engine doesn't run properly due to bad ignition, Hall sensor, carb issues, timing, fuel flow, etc. you won't be able to follow your guide until the issue(s) is resolved. IMO that is beyond tuning and gets in to diagnostics and troubleshooting.

Go for it, I'm not going to but go ahead and start the separate thread. This thread was started to assist with all the basic tuning questions because 95% or more of engines will run right out of the box but not run correctly until tuned.

If I thought that I had any expertise I'd take a stab at it. Maybe some of our other members will chime in with some trouble shooting thoughts and ideas. If so I'll open the thread and start to develop a flow chart. I know when I start to trouble shoot an engine that doesn't run or doesn't run correctly I try to start with the three basic things an engine needs in order to run; fuel, air and spark.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I would recommend a personal operating log. And think of the electronic side of things outside of the mechanical side of things.
When a machine has problems the mechanic says it's "electrical". The electrician says it's "mechanical". But in reality like with any machine 80% of the time an electrical or electronic issue will develop before a mechanical issue will. Following a process of elimination is your best bet. Trying to resolve issues in a forum is extremely difficult. A trouble shooting "flow chart" would be misleading to those who like operating but have skill sets other than mechanical or electrical. A "This is what happened" and "this is what fixed it" sticky would be a lot better IMO. Sorta like comparing notes.