• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Basic engine tuning.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'd guess a funky carb or gunk in the carb. Normally even at 1.5 and 1.5 starting on the needles they run way better than that!!!!! If the carb does not do it, it's a long shot but a crappy igntion could also cause some sporadic things but your description of the H needle sounds like carb issue to me. If it persists after the cleaning, I'd call up VVRC and maybe swap the carb.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@Bipeguy03

Just my 02. Did you check your throttle servo and linkage? A buddy of mine started messing with the needles on a 55 ra cuz "some" of the symptoms you describe were present. What made the light go on was when he said "when I land it seems to improve" but it does not operate like it did before. I told him to change the servo and check linkage. He did change servo and is now a happy camper.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I'd guess a funky carb or gunk in the carb. Normally even at 1.5 and 1.5 starting on the needles they run way better than that!!!!! If the carb does not do it, it's a long shot but a crappy igntion could also cause some sporadic things but your description of the H needle sounds like carb issue to me. If it persists after the cleaning, I'd call up VVRC and maybe swap the carb.
I'm kinda going through similar issues with the 120 on my 540t. I just put a new kit in the carb as the engine has sat for the past 7 months. Starts fine however when running, I notice the ibec light going on and off and some of my servos twitching and it won't go past 1/2 throttle and dies. Run straight off a battery and twitching and blinks stop but engine still won't go past 1/2 throttle. So I'm leaning towards a funky ignition with the glitching that's occurring. Changing needles didn't have any effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
How can I get my engine to idle at 1200? My DLE 55 RA wil die if I try to go below 1500.

Have you checked the reeds to ensure they are laying flat on the sealing surface? Also is this with a good and warm engine or when you first start that it will not idle that low?

SimonL

New to GSN!
Have you checked the reeds to ensure they are laying flat on the sealing surface? Also is this with a good and warm engine or when you first start that it will not idle that low?

I have inspected the reeds visualy, they looked fine from what I can tell. I have had some idle problems with that engine, where it would load up and cough more and more until it died. I replaced the carburetor, the reeds and the block and gaskets between the engine and the carburetor. I also changed the gasket on the cylinder. The engine idles fine now at around 1500, but starts to cough alittle after around 20sec, but wil not die anymore. But, I cant lower the idle speed below 1500, the engine just dies.
Some guy at my field have a EME60 that idles at 1100-1200, and it idles realy smooth.

Btw, does the prop effect the idle speed? Im currently running a Xoar 22B. Max rpm is 7350. Not sure how many gallons of fuel I've used, but it have around 10-12 hours of runtime if I add up all my flights. Using 32:1 Sthil HP Ultra Oil.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
From that description it sounds maybe just a smidge rich on the low but I don't think that's anything to worry about. Sounds like you've pretty much looked at everything and then some. As for the reeds you want to make sure they are laying nice and flat on the reed block and maybe sand the reed blocks a little on a nice and flat surface.

Prop can play a part in it, that prop seems to be a little on the small end. If you have access to one I would suggest maybe going to something that loads the engine a little more like a 24x8 or 23x10. Or see if you can try your buddies prop off of his 60 for comparison on how it idles. Probably wouldn't be the best for performance but would answer your question.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have inspected the reeds visualy, they looked fine from what I can tell. I have had some idle problems with that engine, where it would load up and cough more and more until it died. I replaced the carburetor, the reeds and the block and gaskets between the engine and the carburetor. I also changed the gasket on the cylinder. The engine idles fine now at around 1500, but starts to cough alittle after around 20sec, but wil not die anymore. But, I cant lower the idle speed below 1500, the engine just dies.
Some guy at my field have a EME60 that idles at 1100-1200, and it idles realy smooth.

Btw, does the prop effect the idle speed? Im currently running a Xoar 22B. Max rpm is 7350. Not sure how many gallons of fuel I've used, but it have around 10-12 hours of runtime if I add up all my flights. Using 32:1 Sthil HP Ultra Oil.

I'm guessing rich on low. Check out the low needle tuning in fist post and try that. Also make sure the little idle set screw in the carb is removed.

@jhelber08 sounds like an ignition or possible IBEC as well. What type of IBEC do you have? If you have one, I would try an ignition swap first though.