• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Baffled on Baffling...

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
What you use really doesn't matter you can use balsa Lite plywood foam or just about anything that will stay rigid and hold up the temps. I use light plywood that has texalium fabric laid up on it. I make this myself. I tack it in place with medium CA but then go over all the seams and joints with goop in a syringe.
And it even matches the No Limitz spinner, nice!

Dan767

70cc twin V2
What you use really doesn't matter you can use balsa Lite plywood foam or just about anything that will stay rigid and hold up the temps. I use light plywood that has texalium fabric laid up on it. I make this myself. I tack it in place with medium CA but then go over all the seams and joints with goop in a syringe.

Thanks for the pictures Terry. I think I'll use the foam board for now, and order some texalium fabric and re-do it with what you have.

emtp275

100cc
I need to try this on my 104 slick also I guess, most likely the hardest cowl I could have to do for my first as the openings are an extremely odd shape.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
It just looks cool, I've done carbon fiber as well, but it just looks black after installation. I've always wanted to try the foam for quick and dirty but can't find the thicker stuff locally.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I need to try this on my 104 slick also I guess, most likely the hardest cowl I could have to do for my first as the openings are an extremely odd shape.

One thing you can do on an odd shape if you wanted to use wood instead of foam is soak it in water then bend it to the right shape and then use a heat gun to dry it and it will generally stay almost in that shape. I've done this with light ply by slicing halfway through the light ply soaking it and carefully bending and drying.

Good idea to use cardboard to make templates to transfer to the wood in order to cut. Much easier to fine tune a piece of cardboard than wood.

rate1

30cc
Check Krill online store, it's called alutex board. I applied it differently.
Myself made two fitting plugs and used these as molds for fiberglass.
7b07f8111e384d28a8a00642eb8de6e3.jpg
ad9943f8b454f7eef53f4a2d8e77e7e7.jpg
f8ddabeb2c9c1c2321042cb34c61212a.jpg
4adba5670025b47371f1db020517e9d6.jpg
a3728305b22462da356bc00a55f7cf93.jpg
540c4df9a005fccbba65f837420675c0.jpg

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
There are lots of places to get the raw fabric, some are cheaper than others and some you can even buy small quantities or samples to play with. Do some google searching for "Texalium Fabric" and also called "Aluminized Fabric".