• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sailplane Aviation Concepts 1/3-scale Schweizer SGS-233A

JimD

50cc
Time to add stringers so we started with the aft fuselage section.

150.JPG

The holes in the stab mount need to be drilled on down through the hardwood blocks we added. To assist with getting these to be perpendicular, we used our drill press to drill holes in a piece of oak for use as a drill guide. This was clamped to the stab mount and the holes were punched on through. The fin was test fitted and looks to be perfect.

151.JPG
152.JPG
153.JPG

Next is the addition of the diagonal fuselage braces starting at the tail section. The next bay needs to have the elevator servo rails installed and then the diagonal braces. Since the servo is positioned off center, the brace on the left side needs to be keep out of the way to make room.

154.JPG
155.JPG
157.JPG

The stab was temporarily mounted to check alignment, looks good! Then the diagonals for the remainder of the bays were added.

156.JPG
158.JPG

WE are using the optional scale tail wheel and Gunny offers a detailed plan for installation. His addendum is available at Aviation Concepts and uses one of the Ohio Superstar assemblies. Hardwood blocks were added to the bottom of the last bay for mounting this wheel assembly.

159.JPG

The fuselage was removed from the building board and turned over so the internal access hatch supports could be installed and so that the wood screw that supports the tail post joint could be installed.

160.JPG

JimD

50cc
It's an old hobbyshack giant stick. 106" wingspan with a dle55 on the nose. Hope it stays under 20lbs. Was bought the way you see it minus gear and engine. If it flys ok the. I'm gonna strip it add flaps and bigger rons and a smoke system.

As to your question, "Will it tow?"

We have had two tow planes about this size and weight and powered with 50-55cc engines. We were able to tow sailplanes in the 3-4 meter span and 10-15 pound range pretty well. Larger and heavier sailplanes become more difficult to tow, not impossible, but more difficult.

When it comes to scale sailplanes, bigger definitely flys better! As for tow planes, same thing is true, bigger planes with bigger engines tow better. While it may sound counterintuitive, more horse power can make up for poor technique and/or lack of experience with aero towing. Being able to romp on the throttle and head for the sky, in spite of what the sailplane behind you is doing, has its advantages!

JimD

50cc
We rotated the fuselage 180 degrees to have better access to the forward part of the fuselage. Stringers, gussets, diagonal braces, and rudder servo rails were installed.

161.JPG
162.JPG
163.JPG
164.JPG
165.JPG
166.JPG

JimD

50cc
After spending a couple of days studying the pictures I took of the 2-33 that belongs to the Cumberland Soaring Group, it finally hit me that the interior is going to consist of six side panels and two seats. Here is the full-scale interior looking in through the rear door.

100_2386.jpg

Getting the seats scaled to the size of the interior was the first order of business. We concluded that the interior scale cannot be exact 33% because the thickness of the model sides intrudes on the interior making the available room smaller than the full-scale. After some trial and error, we found that 28% gave us the best fit.

233 interior1 103.JPG

Next step is the side panels. The fuselage side panels in the full-scale are basically divided into three sections on each side. The first step here was to make three templates that fit into the sides of each of the three bays in the model.

233 interior1 101.JPG

233 interior1 102.JPG

Next step was to cut side panels out of hard 1/16" balsa sheet. Each unique panel will have details built onto it to create the interior. We started with the left rear panel and cut an opening matching the spoiler handle recess of the full-scale. Balsa stick material was added on each side and then more 1/16" balsa sheeting to finish out the build. The corners were sanded round and we got a test fit. Next panel is the middle left side...not finished, but stay tuned!

233 interior1 104.JPG

233 interior1 105.JPG

233 interior1 106.JPG

233 interior1 109.JPG

100_2386.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
@JimD
Is this your build or is it from Gunny's build thread that was lost?
I'm planning a build when I get caught up, this might be a good promotional airframe for GiantScaleNews.com. do the big wings make for any special build challenges?

JimD

50cc
Bart, this is my build. Kit #003. Kit #002 was maidened at the Cumberland Summer Soaring event last week. The flying season interrupted my progress but I will be back on it this fall.

As for the build, it is very straight forward on fuselage and tail surfaces. The wings on the 1/4-scale model are a bit of a challenge, but Gunny designed a build jig (which is included in the kit) for the 1/3-scale wings to make the sheeting process much easier.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ok, i didn't realize it's that new. you probably told me at some point and i just forgot. the idea of including a jig for the wings makes sense.

it looks like a very well done kit, kudos to Gunny. :)