• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: EF 110" Yak-54 V2

Joe Hunt

150cc
Not completely sure what I'm getting myself into here [emoji33] but this is my first attempt at a recover job. Working at stripping it down tonight. Any tips, hints, or suggestions on the subject are all greatly appreciated.

Nice!

I like to tape the covering on with blue tape pieces, then make pen marks where I want it cut, then put it on a plastic table top, or a glass top, and use a straight edge to cut pen mark to pen mark. Then test fit, taping it down again. If all looks good then iron that mofo on there! haha I have done some radius cuts with templates, but recently found out that the great Kenny Lauter does his freehand. So, on my Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC I just free handed all the radius's and I get compliments on them all the time... it was quick and easy, too! :)

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
Nice!

I like to tape the covering on with blue tape pieces, then make pen marks where I want it cut, then put it on a plastic table top, or a glass top, and use a straight edge to cut pen mark to pen mark. Then test fit, taping it down again. If all looks good then iron that mofo on there!

I like this! [emoji106][emoji106]

Joe Hunt

150cc
I tell myself not to, but I always end soldering Dean's ends for my elevators and ailerons. It is nice to have them on there. I have my four extensions run through the factory extension tube. This plane is pretty quick and easy to put together... if I'd ever spend some time on it. haha

Attachments

• 20160627_223021.jpg
    20160627_223021.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 20160627_223108.jpg
    20160627_223108.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 20160627_223123.jpg
    20160627_223123.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 419

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I tell myself not to, but I always end soldering Dean's ends for my elevators and ailerons. It is nice to have them on there. I have my four extensions run through the factory extension tube. This plane is pretty quick and easy to put together... if I'd ever spend some time on it. haha

That's a great idea actually. How do you secure the connectors together though to keep them from coming apart?

Joe Hunt

150cc
That's a great idea actually. How do you secure the connectors together though to keep them from coming apart?

That's the beauty of it, more current than a standard RC connector, and no need for safety clips. They have a snug fit that won't come undone in flight. :)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
That's the beauty of it, more current than a standard RC connector, and no need for safety clips. They have a snug fit that won't come undone in flight. :)

Yeah but you know that one guy Murphy... He has this funny habit of making the impossible possible :eek:;)

I think it'd be fantastic if a receiver came with those instead of the usual servo connector.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Yeah but you know that one guy Murphy... He has this funny habit of making the impossible possible :eek:;)

I think it'd be fantastic if a receiver came with those instead of the usual servo connector.

I have done pull tests and the wires will pop out of a standard RC connector (actually break) with less effort than it takes to separate a dean's mini connector. :)

Yes, I want SmartFly to make the power expanders all dean's minis. :)

Joe Hunt

150cc
All my experiences so far with ARFs tell me that I do not want my hinges glued in. Thankfully here they are not. Just drilled and the off brand hinges put in dry. This allows me to do three things:

1) add a hinge to each end of each control surface
2) use Robart hinges (a friend just had his included off brand round hinges disintegrate in just a few flights on another brand ARF, and of course my Pilot RC hinges fell apart pretty quickly, also my H9 rudder hinges fell out)
3) glue them in myself with a quality glue, in my case that means ZAP 30-min epoxy (never had a hinge even remotely start to come loose using ZAP epoxy)

Attachments

• 20160630_221712.jpg
    20160630_221712.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 366