• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

Joe Hunt

150cc
I thought about extending the motorbox and not using an engine spacer. But, my flying buddy has a 4 cylinder that he thinks would be fun to try on this plane (after I get a few flights on the plane with the twin). So, I started in on an engine spacer. This is the longest one I've made... 2-3/4". Here is twelve pieces of 1/4" aircraft plywood rough cut. I actually only need eleven so one will get tossed. I still have to lightening hole them all and drill the four bolt holes in all of them. Then I'll epoxy them together, grind that hunk down with a drum sander, and finally seal it.

20150828_222121web.jpg

These 4-1/4" long bolts are not going to be long enough to get a locknut on the other side of the firewall. I'll need to order some 4-3/4" bolts.

20150828_222315web.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not to get too far away from this being a build thread but the cost vs quality was the discussion that ended prematurely elsewhere, ie, a Aeroworks Yak compared to a Pilot or Hemple. I'm seeing in this thread some of the quality that justifies the higher cost so all is good.

Not to get too far away from this being a build thread but the cost vs quality was the discussion that ended prematurely elsewhere, ie, a Aeroworks Yak compared to a Pilot or Hemple. I'm seeing in this thread some of the quality that justifies the higher cost so all is good.

Isn't it great to be able to have open discussions about stuff without daddy always butting in?

Joe Hunt

150cc

Yup, I read that other thread on the other site when it popped up... and that was a good discussion. I can't speak to the BH or the Pilot as I have never had either, but I can speak to the quality of the H9 Sukhoi by comparison. I would say the "quality" of the work is similar. Both excellent, in fact. The difference to me is the amount of work in the plane (and also the amount of materials). The AW has more work in it with the round fuse, extra sheeting, two piece interlocking cowl and even the scale pocket hinges. It was ambitious of Rocco and I would think has to cost more to get manufactured. With everything, TVs whatever, there are different options at different prices. I think that's what we have here. :)

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yup, I read that other thread on the other site when it popped up... and that was a good discussion. I can't speak to the BH or the Pilot as I have never had either, but I can speak to the quality of the H9 Sukhoi by comparison. I would say the "quality" of the work is similar. Both excellent, in fact. The difference to me is the amount of work in the plane (and also the amount of materials). The AW has more work in it with the round fuse, extra sheeting, two piece interlocking cowl and even the scale pocket hinges. It was ambitious of Rocco and I would think has to cost more to get manufactured. With everything, TVs whatever, there are different options at different prices. I think that's what we have here. :)

That's what I was hoping for, just some comments on the quality differences. Too many sensitive people elsewhere.

Joe Hunt

150cc
This is off topic, but I got tired of wrenching on the Yak and went flying late this evening. I thought I'd do the ol' QQ roll to inverted on take off... but I didn't really work out the math. haha 10'2" wingspan would require a minimum of a 5'1" center of fuse height before roll was at 90 degrees... I should have given that a bit of thought first. haha