• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Are you going to register with the FAA? Cast Your Vote!

Are you going to register with the FAA?

• Yes

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 33.0%

• Total voters

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool write Bartman, but, think of it like this. Many years ago I had to start registering my handgun, then came insurance, then came a locked cabinet, then came a lock on the trigger, then cam having to be unloaded. You get the point, today is registering of which is not in their authority to require, within ten years it could be hoops and hills and mountains. So let's go by the actual law, not sign on to their illegal maneuver, and fight tooth and nail against any further intrusion committed as an illegal act.
This will be my last response in regards to this matter. As I said prior, I will not register unless it is a requirement of my fields or an event coordinator of which I am partaking of.

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
Cool write Bartman, but, think of it like this. Many years ago I had to start registering my handgun, then came insurance, then came a locked cabinet, then came a lock on the trigger, then cam having to be unloaded. You get the point, today is registering of which is not in their authority to require, within ten years it could be hoops and hills and mountains. So let's go by the actual law, not sign on to their illegal maneuver, and fight tooth and nail against any further intrusion committed as an illegal act.
I have seen you post this earlier...... how is the FAA requirement to register sUAS illegal..... show me...... but I will let you know beforehand that the authorization to register ALL aircraft was implemented before sec 336, they just chose not to enforce it until now.....it's not a new law, regulation or rule.... the FAA is just enforcing one that already existed..... where is the illegality?

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Section III of the rule that was just published yesterday offers the FAA's justification for publishing a new Rule without public comment or other consideration of the steps normally taken in rulemaking.

Section 553(b)(3)(B) of the Administrative Procedure Act (APA) (5 U.S.C.) authorizes agencies to dispense with notice and comment procedures for rules when the agency for “good cause” finds that those procedures are “impracticable, unnecessary, or contrary to the public interest.” Under this section, an agency, upon finding good cause, may issue a final rule without seeking comment prior to the rulemaking........................Therefore, the FAA has determined that it is impracticable and contrary to the public interest in ensuring the safety of the NAS and people and property on the ground to proceed with further notice and comment on aircraft registration requirements for small unmanned aircraft before implementing the streamlined registry system established by this rule......

I'd guess that this would be something that could be contested in court thereby making the entire Rule invalid.

Once the FAA won the ability to call all flying contraptions "Aircraft", all of the rules involving aircraft and airmen applied to us. The big problem is that most of it doesn't fit and so the FAA has taken the position that they'll enforce what they want to enforce and refine things as they see fit. This new rule serves to take what was the existing registration requirements for all aircraft and carve out small unmanned systems and assign them their own registration rule.

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
I'm sure the website will work just as well as the healthcare website did('nt).
That is a good question,,
I had a meeting with my insurance broker to get a new HC plan at 11:30 this morning, no access to the site (busy) and phone was also busy (left phone # for callback) still waiting for callback.

Have seen a lot of comments about what the FAA produced is a law. In actuality it is a rule issue by a government department. @Bartman correctly references it as a rule. What congress approved was law. I won't go into the constitutional discussion concerning rules and laws and there differences and or similarities. That would take up a whole thread. Bottom line for me is that I renewed my AMA for my son and I last night and even though I voted no on registering with the FAA, when this thread was first started and I was a bit hot under the collar, I will probably register, begrudgingly . I acknowledge we have a very SERIOUS problem in this country with apathy and a lack of education of our citizens on our principles as part of the founding of this country. This latest "ruling" by the FAA shows that. However I love the hobby and especially the people in it and I want to continue. I will fight the battles of ideas, hopefully successfully, at the next election, but I am not holding my breath on a positive outcome.:ummm:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have seen you post this earlier...... how is the FAA requirement to register sUAS illegal..... show me...... but I will let you know beforehand that the authorization to register ALL aircraft was implemented before sec 336, they just chose not to enforce it until now.....it's not a new law, regulation or rule.... the FAA is just enforcing one that already existed..... where is the illegality?
The PLAW in 2012 made this move illegal by giving exemption to those that followed the guidelines. That is the last revision to the law that congress has passed therefore it is the current law....