• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Applied Gasoline Engine Systems for RC.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
No engines for dummies stuff just some simple understanding of our beloved or hated reciprocating novelties.
I would like the participation of every ones input and that we use the forum to collectively show all the basic systems required to achieve performance minded flight as it relates to the engine. Maintenance recommendations and practice are welcomed but the desired input to this thread is to identify all the systems that allow an RC gasoline engine to do what it does best....Turn a propeller.

I will start off by asking; What are the basic systems? Hint...your "person" is actually part of the systems and in all reality the most important.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just as I expected........ Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp

Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp

Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp..

Alky6

150cc
OK. I'll bite.
Engine (assume this is a given at this point) Air, fuel, ignition, control (the nut behind the transmitter). How's that to start at the 40,000 foot level? Leaving drag, parasitic losses, heat loss, detonation, etc. for a lower level.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Ok! We have a start. Thanks Alky. Lets descend to ground school and break it down to the basics to get that prop turning.
Air, Fuel, Ignition and control......

Air- Induction and Cooling.

Fuel- Gasoline and oil.

Ignition- Spark.

Control- Radio.

Lets take air and see what we need to do to our advantage and further disclose all the systems. 1) Air is needed to act as an ambulatory means for fuel and oil to protect, cool and power the engine.

Hopefully others will chime in and get this really going so maybe we do not see so many I need help threads.

And in all honesty the kind of help I need is not available here:confused::LOL_gif:

50cc
OK I know about that that other help, and some times this site may help!
So on to air, we need to work at keeping the air for cooling and carb air as cool as we can. both make for more power.

50cc
Have to have some Spark, no spark in life, we do nothing, no spark in plane it does nothing!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Great 1932! But lets not get ahead of ourselves....Lets get this AIR part all figured out first and all the systems involving air that affect the engine. Then we will move forward as long as others get in here and help too!