• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AMA and Multirotors

Mikeq

150cc
Put on my conspiracy hat... but, I would not be surprised to learn the AMA is banking on, almost hoping for, increased regulation that mandates AMA participation from all these currently non-member drone pilots..... it sure has that feel...

You and I think alike...increased membership visa vie money..

Have read all the post with great interest. I have already posted many comments on this thread already so no need for me to regurgitate what has been said other than the following: Sleep, you make an excellent point about your business and that light commercial use of multi"s is absolutely being unfairly punished, essentially shutting you and others down after a large investment in equipment/technology. Chickenballs, you are right on the dues issue. We the majority who fly more traditional models will carry the freight on any increase. 49dimes, Posse comitatus is apparently irrelevant now. Rember when our current occupier of the white house said "we need a national police force every bit as strong as our military".

Bottom line, FAA was so far behind the power curve on the UAV issue that they had to do something so they went the banned route on the light commercial issue in order to look proactive. AMA was caught with it's pant down on multi's and now see's a potential "cash cow" on membership expansion, realistic or not.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Have read all the post with great interest. I have already posted many comments on this thread already so no need for me to regurgitate what has been said other than the following: Sleep, you make an excellent point about your business and that light commercial use of multi"s is absolutely being unfairly punished, essentially shutting you and others down after a large investment in equipment/technology. Chickenballs, you are right on the dues issue. We the majority who fly more traditional models will carry the freight on any increase. 49dimes, Posse comitatus is apparently irrelevant now. Rember when our current occupier of the white house said "we need a national police force every bit as strong as our military".

Bottom line, FAA was so far behind the power curve on the UAV issue that they had to do something so they went the banned route on the light commercial issue in order to look proactive. AMA was caught with it's pant down on multi's and now see's a potential "cash cow" on membership expansion, realistic or not.

Yep. I wonder how we can actually call ourselves as being part of the "free" world. Farging communist bastages I tell ya!.

Sleepy, I feel your pain, but you have to admit you knew you were on shaky legal ground from the git-go. Pioneers are risk takers, and many end up wealthy. Unfortunately far more end up the other way. Hopefully the skies will open (in more than a metaphorical sense) and you can get back to taking pictures from the air.

SleepyC

150cc
Sleepy, I feel your pain, but you have to admit you knew you were on shaky legal ground from the git-go. Pioneers are risk takers, and many end up wealthy. Unfortunately far more end up the other way. Hopefully the skies will open (in more than a metaphorical sense) and you can get back to taking pictures from the air.

Honestly never seen this coming. Remember I started around 6 years ago. We were safe, and took it seriously. I was so stoked to find a way to use a skill that I spent 30 years honing and I thought was fun but mostly useless was actually useful. Now what the FAA is doing is tossing 30+ years of experience away and saying "Hey this guy with a PPL who has NEVER flown a Multirotor is better suited to understand a multi rotor than you. and THAT is BS. Ground school, FAA procedures, and all of that I would love to learn and be licensed, but my 30 years of experience should count for something.

:(

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
Put on my conspiracy hat... but, I would not be surprised to learn the AMA is banking on, almost hoping for, increased regulation that mandates AMA participation from all these currently non-member drone pilots..... it sure has that feel...
Maybe to a degree.... not necessarily the AMA.... BUT any CBO that would have to be somewhat the same rules and regulations agreed apon thru the FAA. ..... AND I believe it SHOULD be that way... that way if there is ANY regulation/rule changes there would be a channel for understanding/information/education.