• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Altitude: how it affects fuel/air ratio

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just my thoughts of what I have experienced. I live at an altitude of about 2400 or so feet. Been to Wenatchee and Richland Washington both with basically the same set ups on different planes. Difference of altitude of about 1700 feet. Also been down to Utah to fly. Difference of altitude of about the same. Though I noticed a difference in air density, I really didn't notice too much need for needle adjustments. In the heavier/thicker air of Wenatchee and Richland, all my planes...including the smaller 55cc size motors, ran very well. Controls were a lot more responsive. In the thinner/lighter air of Utah, again...motors ran about the same, maybe a little richer, but noticed controls were very sluggish compared to what I normally fly at here in Idaho. I think it kind of depends on how critical a person is. I haven't done any needle adjustments since the motors were dialed in so I guess all is well.

Hope that helps ya some.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Now, how well it does this is up for debate. for the heluvit I soldered on a tube up to the top of the carb. The engine did run and transition as good as any I have had.Might just be co-inkidink though.

just didnt know which diaphragm you were speaking of. there are a few in dem ol walbros. you cleared it up

i do a carb mod on all twins that move that point to a tube bent down in front of choke butterfly

it absolutely depends on airframe imho but i dont like messing around after the fact.

Last edited:

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Not for sure Robbins intent, but i think it is all an academic discussion.
i think we better get something clear. My intent is none of your concern when in public eye. same goes for anyone else here. Maybe we can go to PM if you like.. hell ask terry for my phone number if ya want to actually discuss it... Just dont F with me unless i know youre doing it! Kapeesk? (like they say out east)

:brian-banana: