• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
There ya go. I like the geometry with the linkage. Planning on accessing it though it's own cowling hole, or?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your pictures it should be real close to going through the head cooling opening as you cut yours. It might be slightly up inside.

Thanks for posting the turnbuckle links. I ended up ordering as you suggested. IThe was going to use the originals but the aileron links are a smaller diameter shaft and don't fit a Dubro 4-40 ball link.
I'll be using the 4-40 on the servo end, the small stock ball links on the control surface end, and the Redwing turnbuckles.

Has anyone tried to make the landing gear cover fit any better?

I cut a notch and reshaped the top edge. I'm still not sure I like them.
I'm considering splitting the side and reshaping the bottom edge too.
Any idea?
m_DSC_5125.jpgm_DSC_5128.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I haven't installed the gear yet. If you get it too close I'd imagine the flexing of the gear might crack the fairing. Too bad it doesn't fit flush...

I haven't installed the gear yet. If you get it too close I'd imaghine the flexing of the gear might crack the fairing. Too bad it doesn't fit flush...

I think you're right the flexing might cause a problem. The fit bother's me. They just might end up in the junk box.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I haven't got there yet, but planing on both panels, sometimes you'll have to open up the cowling a bit to relieve any additional pressure that cannot be relieved by opening up the lower aft panels. It seems that in that post he had a fairly large opening for the intake and fwd of the exhaust. I'd imagine there is a lot of turbulent air in that cowling that isn't escaping efficiently enough to cool down the engine... Hence why he closed the gap by the exhaust. So sometimes a 3:1 rule needs to be a 4:1, just depends on how easy it is for the air to escape the cowling. I like to imagine as if it was fluid moving through the cowl rather than air, it's easier to visualize baffling that way for me. Unfortunately this is hard to do with a single cylinder gasser. But bear with me and visualize squirting a garden hose into the intake, where is the path of least resistance? Right back at you? Or is it out the aft lower section where it needs to go?