• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
For the choke system... this one drove me crazy. I ended up flipping the choke arm 180 degrees, utilizing a Dubro 90 Degree Bellcrank, left over ball links, the smaller servo pushrods that I replaced earlier, and a snap ball like I got from RedwingRC.

I went this route because it felt like a "clean" installation, verses playing around with trying to get the geometry perfect for making a push-pull rod through the cowling. We shall see how long this bellcrank lasts. Note the wheel collar spacer on the bellcrank.

Also note the elaborate support stand that I made to support the throttle linkage. holy smokes... I made it so you can get to the engine mount bolt through the center opening.

IMG_2556.JPGIMG_2557.JPGIMG_2558.JPGIMG_2559.JPGIMG_2560.JPGIMG_2561.JPGIMG_2568.JPGIMG_2569.JPGIMG_2572.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bipenut53

150cc
Ok, that is a very nice, clean install for the choke, I don't think I have ever seen a choke lever out the side of the fuse. Nice work AKNick

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Bud!

So I found one discrepancy on this model that high quality AJ Aircraft QC missed!!!!!! The LH Aft Wing anti-rotation support bracket!!!! Missing!!!! So I made one by tracing the other side with a piece of paper, transferred it onto a piece of scrap plywood, cut it out and epoxying it in place.
IMG_2554.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
So I had to switch around the throttle servo 180 degrees so it would clear the fuel tank, shortened the linkage 1/2", then tightened down the engine mount bolts all around after adding blue locktite. In this pic you can see how I managed to tighten the "hard to get to" bolt by using an old trick I learned for extra leverage utilizing a boxed end wrench.
IMG_2611.JPGIMG_2608.JPG

Then added some welders glue to the throttle linkage guide tube onto the support bracket. I later added a zip tie for extra security.

IMG_2614.JPG

Then re-checked the throttle throw/end points with the radio powered up and secured the linkages in place using a bit of Med-Zap after it's torqued in place. If you need to remove it later it'll pretty much break away. Seems to work for me.

IMG_2612.JPG

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Added a Spot-ON RC Magnetic fuel dot on the RH side of the fuselage, placed a couple supports to keep it from flexing as you try and pull the fuel dot out... that little rare earth magnet it STRONG I tell you!! They didn't give you a heck of a lot of room to get you finger in to pull it out, but as long as you don't trim your finger nails it works great!

IMG_2591.JPGIMG_2592.JPG

I'd like to mention I did recently purchase this from Aztech Aeromodels, They shipped fast! Just like old times!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Next I made a side bracket out of some scrap plywood for my Tech-Aero IBEC Throttle Kill Switch.
IMG_2613.JPGIMG_2615.JPGIMG_2618.JPG

I'll add a photo of it installed later. I Zapped it in place and then covered in it epoxy later.