• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aj aircraft 93,73,56 laser

AKfreak

150cc
I think that question was asked on the RCG thread and Andrew said no to the removable stabs. Glue in stab.

I think all planes should have a removable horizontal stab. I think that this feature should be a an integral part of all new offerings from everyone. Being able to transport a plane around the country in a wing type bag makes life so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I think all planes should have a removable horizontal stab. I think that this feature should be a an integral part of all new offerings from everyone. Being able to transport a plane around the country in a wing type bag makes life so much easier.

The other side of the argument is... a 30cc plane doesnt need two elevator servos and the extra weight is unnecessary. I have had two this size with removable stabs and have yet to ever take them off. I think they are over-rated in this size. There are definitely strong arguments to be made either way so it is good that there are offerings both ways.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
im on the bandwagon that does not want removable stabs....i refuse to take them off on my 50cc just because it is such a pain to put back on.

SnowDog

I'm on the other side of the fence here...if my 50cc 89" Slick did not have removable stabs, I would not be able to transport it in my van.

3dNater

I think the 90-ish inch laser will have removable stabs. The opinion I expressed was about 30cc and smaller.

I was talking about the 73. The 90ish is very similar to the 89 slick fuse. Servos go inside the stabs with a slot. My first 50cc was a EG raven and I would not have had it without the removable stabs for transport. I have never once taken a 30cc removable stab off for transport. I have had balance issue with dual elevator servos and I actually prefer the one piece stab in electrics.

AKfreak

150cc
The great thing about removable stabs is this. If you don't want to take them off, Install them one time and be done. Now lets say you find yourself wanting to take a trip or something across the country and you want to bring your plane with you. I find a plane with the stabs glued in are pretty delicate and don't travel we'll without talking up a bunch of room. With them off, the fuse fits in a wing type bag and pretty much lays flat.

If its glued in, you have one option, just sayin....

I'm a fan of removable stabs. Gives me more room to transport multiple planes at one time to the field. The cost of one more servo for the stab is worth it to me and I like to have the option to remove them if I like.

3dNater

The great thing about removable stabs is this. If you don't want to take them off, Install them one time and be done. Now lets say you find yourself wanting to take a trip or something across the country and you want to bring your plane with you. I find a plane with the stabs glued in are pretty delicate and don't travel we'll without talking up a bunch of room. With them off, the fuse fits in a wing type bag and pretty much lays flat.

If its glued in, you have one option, just sayin....

Not doubting the convenience factor on this... but I am also not super impressed by how rigid the stabs can be on the removable stabs for small planes. I dont think the convenience is worth the price and weight of the extra required servo on smaller planes. On the bigger 50cc + planes it makes more sense because you need two elevator servos anyway.