• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez 88" Slick 540 v2 (50cc)

njswede

150cc
Well, that was a bit disappointing! Came in for a landing and the wind shifted 180 degrees, so the landing was definitely hot, but not that hard. I hit a small bump and the gear folded. When examining the damage, I noticed there's almost no reinforcements around the gear. It seems to be screwed to a piece of plywood that's attached to a former. That's basically it!

Now I'm contemplating whether I should declare it a total loss or try to fix and reinforce the gear. The break is perfectly clean, so I could just glue it back in, but if I don't reinforce it, it's probably going to come out next time I do a less than perfect landing...

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to hear that bud! How many flights do you have on it? My buddies 9 year old has this plane (yup 50cc) and he flies the crap out of it and lands it himself and hasn't had any problems with the gear after at least 70 flights.

SnowDog

Well, that was a bit disappointing! Came in for a landing and the wind shifted 180 degrees, so the landing was definitely hot, but not that hard. I hit a small bump and the gear folded. When examining the damage, I noticed there's almost no reinforcements around the gear. It seems to be screwed to a piece of plywood that's attached to a former. That's basically it!

Now I'm contemplating whether I should declare it a total loss or try to fix and reinforce the gear. The break is perfectly clean, so I could just glue it back in, but if I don't reinforce it, it's probably going to come out next time I do a less than perfect landing...

I had this happen to me on my first gasser...a Goldwing Su-26. Fixed it the first time and it collapsed again...second time I fixed it with some creative plywood reinforcements and it has been solid every since. I had a few deadsticks as well, and the plane was starting to get heavy from all the repairs, so it sits in my workshop without a motor. I will probably scrap it...it is really too heavy to be a fun plane to fly now.

It was a good "learning plane" for my first gasser.

Carbon or aluminum gear? Aluminum can some times be better cause it flexes more...

njswede

150cc
There were angle brackets, but they were just attached to thin plywood. I'll take some pictures once I've worked up enough energy to take the wreckage out of the trailer. :) It was obviously a crappy landing, but not crappy enough to cause that much damage (if any damage).

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Ok, I'll put it this way... if you want to scrap the plane please send it to me. I"ll pay greyhound shipping :p

njswede

150cc
Naaah, I'll keep it! It's a great flying plane. The gear just wasn't designed for idiots like me! :) No, but honestly, if Aerobeez is reading this, take it as constructive feedback that I'd personally take a little bit more strength at the expense of a couple of ounces of weight.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Naaah, I'll keep it! It's a great flying plane. The gear just wasn't designed for idiots like me! :) No, but honestly, if Aerobeez is reading this, take it as constructive feedback that I'd personally take a little bit more strength at the expense of a couple of ounces of weight.

Woohoo! Fix that baby up and get her flying again ASAP! :D

Aerobeez

70cc twin V2
NJSwede, thank you for the feedback, we are sorry to hear about the accident. We will definitely use the info you gave us towards the Generation 3 Slick that is on the way. If you decide that you are going to bury her, let us know because we will be more than happy to take care of you if you plan on getting a new Aerobeez plane with a huge discount. We take care of our customers when things like this happen.