• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

A quick reminder

And, if you fly for MKS, but post a thread on a Pulse battery or something just as a for instance, and if you happen to be a Pulse team pilot, is that OK? Team Pilots definitely try to add value to a brand, introduce people to products etc... it's true. But, team pilots, while not the majority, they do contribute to keeping the site up to date, promoting discussion and helping folks. More posts = more traffic & better Google hits... Or?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
you know what's also weird? there are so many sponsored pilots you guys are all promoting stuff to each other! i don't quite get that one but feel free to post your content. if nobody advertises then we'll eventually run out of steam and the manufacturers will have to find someplace else to promote their stuff.

sorry for posting the long answer first.....Yes. I'm thinking about whether or not we need to ask manufacturers to be enlisted at the site as advertisers before their team members can post reviews and other promotions. It all goes back to who is supporting the site and who is just taking advantage of our great community of modelers.

Well, now I have a problem with this....... Understandably a website is a business, not a business I fully understand (or care to for that matter).
Being a business owner myself I'm going to share something. Many years ago the company that I pretty much make my living off of had me laser a plaque to put in the waiting area that at the time I though twas pretty bold. It says: "Attention solicitors, before you try to sell us anything please be prepared to answer what is is you intend to do to help us be more productive and increase our profitability". Now that I have been in business for 16 years for myself I completely understand this, every dollar matters and the most expensive dollars that a company spends are it's advertising dollars. It's the equivalent to any of us sitting down to a roulette table, you could win, you could loose but with luck you leave with what you had to start with.

Now that said, I've busted my ass to try to help and create content for GSN and asked basically nothing in return. I'm pretty proud that my content has generated 220,119 views, 100K+ pictures and 4205 posts in the past 14 months alone on GSN. CONTRARY TO WHAT ONE PARTICULAR MEMBER THINKS, I have done NON of this to try to glorify myself I do it because I love the hobby and I enjoy other people that like the hobby more because they learned something or how to do something better. Been here since the beginning, through lost content, slow site, software changes, revamps, etc. etc.

Additionally, Before most of us new Bart we game to GSN in droves to support SleepyC, I didn't even know him that well myself. Like many I pulled up ties and came here. In the end after hundreds of hours spent creating content to support and promote Sleepy's new site. Spending my own money for GSN banners, and shirts that were given away. I was thanked like many with him leaving, and was further thanked by him unfriending me and Lori on facebook . Pretty sweet. Your welcome I guess. It is completely meaningless to me other than the fact that it takes a physical act to do which must take some forethought in doing. Whatever, over it, just an example and no sweat off my back.

So NOW here we are today, since I'm friends with different manufacturers that I choose to support........perhaps I get a discount, perhaps I don't. That is non of GSN's business. From some I get a sticker and free shipping......lucky me I suppose but I NEVER.....EVER ask for these things!!! Like helping friends here on GSN, some of my friends own businesses.

Just thinking that maybe it's GSN's job as a company to solicit companies with intent to inform them what it is that they can do to add to that particular companies bottom line rather than someone like me who is focused on bringing traffic to a site like GSN and helping and educating the general population that is here.

Joe Hunt

150cc
First thing... you can delete this post when you see it, Bart... if all this should be private or just not said at all. :)

Everything gets funny, interesting, challenging, or whatever you want to call it... in this hobby... when you do anything more than fly your 40" wingspan plane in a circle. If you try to secure a flying field to setup a club, be part of running an existing club, put on events, represent a manufacturer, make instructional videos, respond to messages online from people asking for help, give your opinion about products, and definitely if you put up a website... the hobby is going to change for you.

About @Terryscustom ... to me, quite obviously, you enjoy modeling and sharing knowledge. Goes without saying you are an exceptional modeler, as well. I know a few exceptional modelers that have never posted online, and some of those have really rarely if ever helped others at the field. You have to enjoy that type of thing to do it. And, the GS community is lucky that you enjoy it. Whatever knucklehead was imputing bad motives about you would change his tune if he ever spent the time, talent, and energy that you do towards providing helpful content to GS sites.

About @Bartman ... I feel the same way Terry does. I've felt it all along even though I haven't said anything to you about it. I enjoy putting up content, and constant new content has always been what keeps sites going... any site, about any subject. Content contributors are what all sites need. But, if they have to provide content with their hands tied... i.e., somehow create posts or build threads without mentioning any of the product names that you're building?... that idea just doesn't work. RCU and FG both got lucky with several things that happened for them early on. GSN can be the friendlier site... as you say, the defender of the noob... but it will need to define itself in positive ways. And, not being able to say what products you're using, and where you can find them, is not something I see as positive. I also agree with Terry that with "online" you have to prove yourself first. It has essentially been like that since "online" started. Even Bill Gates missed the boat on understanding that for the longest time, but eventually figured it out. The manufacturer's will support the site more when they see it's an appealing site with constant fresh content from credible sources... like Terry (and others). When you make it the "it" place everyone will want to get on board. But, you can't put the cart in front of the horse. I think you'll have a lot more success approaching a manufacturer and showing them how often their products and website are getting mentioned on GSN and offering them the opportunity to exploit that by putting a banner ad up... than by telling them that people are not allowed to show their website on GSN news and asking them to pay to see it here. If GSN is helping the manufacturers sell more products they'll want to support GSN, if not they are all on shoestring budgets as it is. You can try to give it a go without any factory reps... but the rub is that the factory reps are generally factory reps because they're the kind of guys that are predisposed to enjoy sharing information and providing content... so there's that. ;)

sorry for posting the long answer first.....Yes. I'm thinking about whether or not we need to ask manufacturers to be enlisted at the site as advertisers before their team members can post reviews and other promotions. It all goes back to who is supporting the site and who is just taking advantage of our great community of modelers.

If you ask manufactures to be a part of this forum, you will drive them away. That is why companies have "Team Pilots". They get the new products out there.

Consider yourself fortunate, that you have as many vendors supporting the site, just by "being online".

I whole heartedly disagree with your post Bart. I know you are thinking aloud but, take it all as constructive critisism.

Links to manufactures websites should not be frowned upon. Links to other web forums should. Case closed.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'm up early after drinking coffee too late last night, there's a huge misunderstanding going on here which ii'll address later this morning. Sorry for the confusion

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Links to other RC websites not being allowed I get. Links to manufacturers that don't advertise here being a no no is new to me. I occasionally mention my favorite brands or vendors but don't promote them. Remembering now the numerous name promotions that Krazy Kanuck placed makes this issue start to clear up a bit. So it's ok to mention my awesome MKS.com servos because they advertise here but not a brand that doesn't?

WMcNabb

150cc
I'm up early after drinking coffee too late last night, there's a huge misunderstanding going on here which ii'll address later this morning. Sorry for the confusion

I sincerely hope so!

This is a phenomenal site, primarily because there are knowledgeable, talented contributors who post here simply for those of us who are less experienced to learn, or enjoy an event we are not able to attend. I don't feel intimidated to ask questions which may have been asked many times before, and am sincerely grateful for the responses I receive.

I've learned a tremendous amount from many of you here. Personally, I want to see you mention products by name, simply because I'll know they are your preference, and obviously work well for you. It's then up to me to research the product or service and make the decision to include in my airplanes or not. Also, it's certainly convenient if a link is included, and I don't consider that a nuisance or advertisement.

Thank you to all of you who have made this a fantastic site, and one of my favorites!

Wade

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Here's the short list of rules for the site. Keep in mind, yes I run the site but I'm a modeler first like you guys and I don't enjoy having to make rules.

No smut. There is enough of that everywhere else so let's keep it out there and not in here.
Be friendly.
Please only post links to sites that don't include a social media feature (rcg, fg, rcu, facebook, etc.)

Manufacturers' links are ok, vendor links are ok....I'm sorry you guys came away from my ramblings last night with the impression that they aren't OK.

One thing we see a lot at MultiRotorForums.com is the personal blog link where people start a thread that is only a link to their blog post. Yes it's content but when the blog entry then has a running comment stream under it it becomes social media and it gets deleted. I haven't really seen that here so it hasn't had to be discussed.

Please feel free to ask questions if this still isn't clear. I'm happy to hear you guys out and I'll take whatever heat you want to throw at me.

My comments about sponsored pilots were just me thinking aloud about how many of you there are! When I asked @cbarnes0061 to be a moderator I first had to ask if he's sponsored by anyone because it seems like everyone is sponsored by somebody. I'm not slamming anyone for being sponsored, just observing how many sponsored pilots there are in the community.