• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

91" Extreme Flight Extra

skibum44

70cc twin V2
When you guys installed the J&J wire landing gear did you do any reinforcements to the fuse? Thanks

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
When you guys installed the J&J wire landing gear did you do any reinforcements to the fuse? Thanks

I take a block of hardwood and drill a hole in it that will fit the part of the spring that sticks up into the fuse. Install the wheel and you can install the wood block through the hole for the rear mounted rudder servo. I just put a huge blob of wood glue on the end, stick the block to an exacto knife and stick it in there (practice once before the glue). Push it down and let it set overnight. Voila. The wood glue will "tack" to the metal but if you have to remove the tailwheel just rotate a few times and it will come out. That's it!!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
View attachment 10745 View attachment 10746
Eric I have some questions on your push pull setup there. The rudder control arms, they do not look like Extreme Flights, whose are they and why did you change? What length are you connected at the servo arm and are you getting full travel?
The picture with the J&J Tailwheel is my Viper S/T (available now). Those are the arms terry makes for the vipers. The other pic is the EF Extra and that is the stock arm. When I get home I will measure the distance on the servo arm for you. I get full throw on it.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Did using the offset to the right center line per the manual achieve the spinner to be centered to the cowl?

Region capture 10.png

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Posted these following posts in the Power systems thread thought they would be informative here:

Prop tested on the DA70 was a Mejlik 24x10TH. Temp was 36°F out today. Plane pulled a steady 37.5lbs at 6610RPMs. Starting motor temp was 215°F.

With the warmer ambient temps I had a burble, after a few needle adjustments I ended up about 1/4 turn lean compared to -8°F on the HS and ran beautifully. The 24x10TH is a fine prop... Definitly the fastest I've tried so far. That said it had the lowest pull on scale and noticeably less pullout performance, but this was expected. I'm starting to think the 24x9 is the most versatile between low and slow and XA, while the 24x10 would be geared more towards XA and the 25x8W is the pull king and low and slow prop. Flying gas is definitly adding more XA to my flying style, since I don't have to worry about draining my batts to fast.

Durning the last flight I had the burble start to come back, she was asking to be leaned. Wish I would of had time for one more flight. Terrycustom told me he a burble develop at 4 gallons which he leaned out and performance topped out... I'm between 4.25 and 4.5 gallons now. I can't wait to lean out to see if the performace gets even better.

I am totally stoked about the motors performance and very happy. I see a few other (non DA) motors out at the field having tuning issues, which I try to help. After the bowman ring and carb tinkering, I'm still seeing dead sticks. To be fair, there was a guy having a issue with a DA50....Couldn't tune it right no matter what we did. It seamed it was loosing compression after the motor warmed up, motor was bought used. My motor just runs and is a dream to start... Other then running out of gas on the maiden flight the engine has never died at any point (knocking on wood). It also seams more tolerant to bad needle settings then the non DA motors I see.

Edit: I got one flight on video I will try post some of... Probably tomorrow night though.

Here it is... I started using this "fast" prop to play a little with slow and point rolls (need work). I am really enjoying gas as it is opening a different part of my hobby.

It was a warmer no wind day, with the only downside of overcast skies. See 3:35 and 8:20 for a example of the wind and pull out. Also, see waterfalls at 7:35 for more power examples... this is where I missed the 25x8W and 24x9. Its funny how this prop makes me want and fly more of XA type flying style. Really was fun, although I need to get more comfortable flying 100mph rolling 10-20' above the ground.

Check out the performance of the new tailwheel after landing... loving it. Will never use a stock tailwheel on 50cc+ again. Thanks to Eric and Terrycustom for the advice there on the "other" forum.

EDIT: sorry for the long video, gas gives good runtime. I even landed early.

Double EDIT:One thing I am struggling with is my pop top timing. I got it licked on 30cc and smaller, but its challenging on the bigger stuff... need more stick time. When my buddy Dean gets out, I should be able to get it ironed out.

Watch in 720p.

I forgot I wanted to add a special thanks to my 12yo son for a awesome job keeping the plane in the video with a iPhone 6.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Pulled off this morning the first go at my baffles for my 91" Extra w/DA-70. The front inlet contour I already matched with a simple straight extrusion and that fit pretty good. As you may have seen the cylinder sits lower that the inlet and due to the offset motor mount tilts off to the right. I made these blend into both shapes. One view is the front and the other is the back. In the back view you can see that the shape is bigger to match the full area of the fins. A little optical illusion makes one look larger but that is because it is longer and closer to the camera. Can't wait to try it tonight, but leaving for a business trip for several days so won't get much more done.

Baffle 2.JPG Baffle 1.JPG