• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

84" Bigfoot

SnowDog

Bigfoot is known for snapping out at certain speeds in certain configurations...3DHS has been very forthcoming with the notion that this plane is not like many of their other 3D planes, specifically that at low speeds it will behave this way. The generally accepted approach for avoiding this behavior involves one of two actions:

1) more speed - fly faster, last faster
2) use flaps - Bigfoot has great big flaps - use them when flying slow and low and the tendency to snap will be greatly reduced.

Do you have personal experience with snapping on BF? I do, and I posted my video on this thread or my build thread...please share your experience as well.

The best thing to do to reduce the tip stall tendency is to use a spoileron mix on the ailerons. With the ailerons up, the tips of the wings are producing less lift and you are reducing the angle of attack. Get them high enough and that part of the wing is no longer producing lift at all and is effectively stalled already. You are flying off the inboard section of the wing via the flaps, and as you get slower the and the AOA gets higher, the stall will move outwards on the wing, but will not affect the ailerons because you are steering via spoilers as there is no longer a lift element to loose as in a tip stall. This all requires to be flying under power to work, but you can fly very very slow in this configuration.

My first day with this plane had a number of scary tip stalls (luckily up high). The first thing I did was ditch the 6" Dubros and some heavy RX packs. This diet resulted in 1 less pound of weight, and less wing loading, which helped a lot as well.

kydawg1

New to GSN!
Agreed, I use light Kavan wheels and fly a LIGHT 3700 6S pack with CG way back. It keeps this bird LIGHT (although short flights). Flies very well...stable, hovers easily and lands like a dream power off with or without flaps. Love this one..... ready for the V2 if/when it arrives.

I have a spare V1 RED NIB of anyone is interested. Detroit Burbs area - pick up only. Send me a PM.

Otherwise... I plan to build the Red one to go with my Black BF next Spring.

WP_20131019_002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: