• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

6172crew

50cc
Are you dead set on 8s? What type of flying do you want to do. high or low energy? The 4330 is a wonderful choice as it is lighter than the A60-5S fo about the same power and cost. Just pick a wind that works for you. Also the Hackers are pushing the size limit on the e-box with the x-mount being wide. I am considering e-converting mine and I have a A60-7S laying around, but I am not sure how much work I have to do to get it to work. I got a different ARF for a float plane I think I will use the motor on, so I am considering getting a 4330 myself.

I'm not dead set, the difference between the 6s (380-400kv) and the 8s (282-300kv) seems to be around $100 because the esc jumps up that much for the 8 cell. You do get a little bit more power and the batteries are probably cheaper to get for the 3 cell vs 4 cell. I'm looking to find a big prop and slow speeds. I don't own any batteries that will fit this plane yet so that wasn't even a factor in me leaning towards the 8s. I read through both threads, here and rcg and couldn't really find much info except the 8s guys blew wigs back at the field so I was thinking about blowing a wig or two at our field. :peace:

With 6s you can just buy one battery. The edge needs more nose weight than some of the others, so a heavier power system works well. If your charger can't handle a lot of 6s packs then 8s work well especially if you are using a 12V power supply. Lower on the kv range works better for low and slow with a bigger prop. A lot of us do 60" electric which is 6s 3300, so doing 12 3300 makes sense. Some ESCs can do up to 8s like the Mezon 120 and some of the castles.

6172crew

50cc
I have a icharger 308, and the only large 6s batteries I have are 3800 and 4000. The icharger works pretty good. I did find a nib CC Ice 100, and a the bec pro already. I was just about ready to spring for the Mezon 120 and found the ICE this morning on rcg. Finding the ice saved me a hundred bucks but still need the motor. There aren't too many large electric setups at our field so I'm really having to go off of hearsay to find what I need. I originally had the joe smith setup in mind but we are up to 6000-7000 feet where I live and had to rethink the power setup. I don't own anything that uses gas, unless they go fuel injection I'm not really into it. I did the gas Zenoha boats and had them up around 70mph but lipos really work well. The one thing that turned me off of the 6s was the run times. I saw a few reports of 5 minutes, I'd like to see 10 if I can. What are you getting out of your 6s setup?

10 minutes on a 3d electric is really hard. You are in a loosing battle when it come to power loading with the extra capacity and you will drop below the 2:1 thrust to weight we all crave. Since you committed to the ICE100 you are limited to 8s. Depending on the weight of your 6s 3800s, you could have done a 4330-195 or 206 and done 12s 3800 and gotten pretty good flight time.

To get long flight time you can get 4s 5000s or get a 6s 5000 and 2s 5000. 5-6 minutes is typical on 6s 5000 setup on a 4330 or A60-6XS as you are pushing 100A peak through the pack. The advantage of the higher voltage is that you run less amps and have less heat loss. A identical mass 8s setup will run longer than a 6s. 12s even better yet.

6172crew

50cc
Is the 8s (2x4s 5000mah) too heavy for the Edge? Ive seen the 5000mah 6s, and 4000mah 8S setups ran by most. Splitting the difference to 4400 4S sound like a better idea? Im kinda leaning towards the 4330 298kv, but Ken also mentions the 282kv running a 21X8 prop, keep in mind we are at altitude up here is around 5790 feet MSL so Im thinking I can prop up a little without hurting anything. Ive seen some youtube videos of people running the 21X10 but it doesn't mention altitude. I think Ken mentioned the 292kv being more popular but Im not sure why that is.
BTW, Thanks for all the help. These platforms are expensive so there isnt a lot of info on the web, also because half are running gas.:)

6172crew

50cc
I have a couple of questions about my setup. I have 4 Savox SA1256TG and 3 SA1258TG servos on hand. I was wanting to run the faster servos but Im short one and thought it might be ok to run a 1256 on the Rudder, or should it be the Elevator? Or is this a bad idea?

Im also running the ICE 100 on 8S and a BEC Pro, I was thinking about running a 2S lipo, maybe 1000mah. Should I be using a lower voltage Life pack to power the Spektrum receiver and servos? I setup the BEC Pro at 6.0 output because the Savox Website showed speeds at 6.0 volts.

6172crew

50cc
Hopefully someone can chime in, Im running the DM4330 298kv and a 21X10 Xoar, having trouble getting the 5.25 CG, Im more like 6 inches with the 4500 8s setup.:confused:

sr175

30cc
Hopefully someone can chime in, Im running the DM4330 298kv and a 21X10 Xoar, having trouble getting the 5.25 CG, Im more like 6 inches with the 4500 8s setup.:confused:

Hate to see posts with no responses! Unfortunately I do not have the electric setup but can you slide the batteries just a bit forward at all and check? This plane tends to be tail heavy at times. There's a lot more activity over in the other place if that helps you at all for this plane. Hate to also respond with a question but how are you balancing this plane? Been rethinking mine and was wondering what other people were doing and was contemplating asking. I know basic question:facepalm:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have a couple of questions about my setup. I have 4 Savox SA1256TG and 3 SA1258TG servos on hand. I was wanting to run the faster servos but Im short one and thought it might be ok to run a 1256 on the Rudder, or should it be the Elevator? Or is this a bad idea?

I would put the slower servo on the rudder for sure.

Im also running the ICE 100 on 8S and a BEC Pro, I was thinking about running a 2S lipo, maybe 1000mah. Should I be using a lower voltage Life pack to power the Spektrum receiver and servos? I setup the BEC Pro at 6.0 output because the Savox Website showed speeds at 6.0 volts.
Since your servos are all HV you are ok to run 2s lipo voltage whether it is from a 2s lipo, or continue to run it through your BEC Pro. If it was me, I would probably set the BEC to 7-7.5 volts unless you just want to go to the full 8.4v of a fully charged 2s lipo.

For CG it is more important to get it to fly how you like it. Is it flying tail-heavy? What does it do in an inverted 45 degree upline? If the tail starts dropping you are definitely tail heavy.

6172crew

50cc
Since your servos are all HV you are ok to run 2s lipo voltage whether it is from a 2s lipo, or continue to run it through your BEC Pro. If it was me, I would probably set the BEC to 7-7.5 volts unless you just want to go to the full 8.4v of a fully charged 2s lipo.
Savox told me to reduce the voltage to 6v, I see the car guys running 7.4 but figured these are plenty quick, even the slower 1256.

For CG it is more important to get it to fly how you like it. Is it flying tail-heavy? What does it do in an inverted 45 degree upline? If the tail starts dropping you are definitely tail heavy.
The nose dropped slightly when I rolled it on its back, I havent tried the 45 degree upline but will give that a go. It was wallowing pretty bad on a harrier, maybe its in my head because I was only able to get the CG to around 6 inches from the leading edge. I thought about buying some 5000mah batteries to push the CG forward, the 4000 ones I bought need to be sold asap.