• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

Got an email today saying that my 74" Edge has shipped from Lancaster. I've got a new DLE30 and servos waiting on my bench. My first gasser. :D

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got an email today saying that my 74" Edge has shipped from Lancaster. I've got a new DLE30 and servos waiting on my bench. My first gasser. :D

Marc

Congrats on the first gasser Marc. Please let us know if you have any questions or need advice throughout the build.

-G

Today I have found the stress limit for the edge wings... :cursing:

I did a Split S followed by a VERRRRRRY hard crankshaft from inverted. After the first quarter of a rotation there was a very loud cracking noise.

I shattered all the ribs in the right wing and half of them in the left wing.

Which scheme do you have? I busted my fuse so I have a set of Silver scheme wings.

3dbandit

100cc
Jacob also has the silver :)

Yes I do.

But I am not sure weather or not I should continue flying the 74 edge, even with new wings.

I no longer have confidence in the structural integrity of the 74 edge(or 3dh wings in general- I have broken 5 3dh wings) as I have had 3 in flight failures with the plane.

I have ejected the motor box, snapped the fuselage, and broken the wings.(all in flight)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yes I do.

But I am not sure weather or not I should continue flying the 74 edge, even with new wings.

I no longer have confidence in the structural integrity of the 74 edge(or 3dh wings in general- I have broken 5 3dh wings) as I have had 3 in flight failures with the plane.

I have ejected the motor box, snapped the fuselage, and broken the wings.(all in flight)

Understandable... I feel that way about my 72" Extra and I reinforced both the new wing and the surviving wing.
While I don't fly as hard as you, not even close, I do understand your not wanting to fly without confidence, I doubt you'll have fun.

The poor UPS driver must have been working overtime because this box was delivered at 8:30 this evening. I did a cursory inspection and everything looks good so far. Five foot tall wife included in photo for size reference. :)

Marc

Boxed Edge.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
The poor UPS driver must have been working overtime because this box was delivered at 8:30 this evening. I did a cursory inspection and everything looks good so far. Five foot tall wife included in photo for size reference. :)

Marc

View attachment 19140

Congrats! The 74" Edge was my first larger than 60" airplane, and first foray into "giant scale".
I remember having the same reaction when the big box arrived. :)

Which color did you get? Will you post some build pics so we can follow your progress?