• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yes the product molds have been completed and posted to their web store. I've been out if town for a few days but before I left Mike said that it'll be about a week before he will have a decent amount of stock but you can back order them and they will ship as soon as he's done with them. (Guessing mid week). Thanks for reminding me I have to order my set as well.

Sorry to hear about the aurora switch mix up.

Tony

Thanks... stuff happens... I dropped the 72 off with my friend Humberto that has magic repair hands.
I'm sure he'll have it fixed quickly. Needs the front plate of the motor box repaired as well, and there are some small chips in the cowl paint... but just that and the gear after a 60 foot drop into a flat pancake landing.

So is this the right page? http://www.graphtechrcshop.com/product.sc?productId=610&categoryId=34

Their gear is more expensive than 3dhs....? which would make sense based on supply/demand :D

@maxx4wd,

Any progression on this? I delaminated both sides of my gear today in a pancake landing... (Accidentally hit the engine kill switch while learning my new Aurora 9x radio).

Would like to say I never hit the kill by accident but I did on the maiden of my 70" Slick some years ago. I was brutal to myself over that one! t was my first gas plane. Never had that happen with glow lol! They just quit on their own. Have done it since as well but usually catch it in time to not kill the engine completely.

The v1 planes were made to fit the side carb dle 30. When the rear carbs came out and ran better they moved the firewall as you noted. My 70 slick had the same issue and we cut it off and moved it back. It really wasnt as hard as you might be imagining it to be.

Measure back from the front of the firewall on all four sides exacly the same distance. This will maintain the thrust angle for you. Make lines on each side of the motor box accordingly.

Make your cuts as straight and precise as you can. Take your time and use a fine tooth saw that you have good control over. It might be nice to have someone help you hold things as you get close to completing the last cut. You dont want it to break off.

Debond the original firewall from the peices you cut off the sides. Make notches in the motorbox to receive the tongues. Make the fit into the newly cut motorbox so the firewall is flush on all sides.

Glue with thick CA. This is to tack it into place so you can reinforce it.

Add angle stock to the inside with epoxy around all four inside corners. You may end up utting into this a little when you mount the motor but it isnt a big deal.

Add a layer of fiberglass on the outside of the motorbox that completely ties it all together. Babysit it as it cures to make sure it is laying down nice.

Done.

Mine was super strong and survived many "incidents."

Got the firewall shortened for my PTE36. Was not as hard as I imagined. I was able to cut off 1" of the firewall with my Dremel Multi Max. What an amazing tool. If you do not have one you need one. Cuts, sands and God knows what else it does.

My engine ended up 1/8" too deep on the cowl. I planned that if it was off it would be too deep so I could shim it out with fender washers.

Now to see if the added power of the 36 will cause a wing failure! Not likely for an older circle flyer with 40 years under his belt just learning 3D! With the added horsepower the plane is going from my 136oz Hitec Servos to 7955TG Servos. It should feel like a new plane!

maxx4wd

50cc
Thanks... stuff happens... I dropped the 72 off with my friend Humberto that has magic repair hands.
I'm sure he'll have it fixed quickly. Needs the front plate of the motor box repaired as well, and there are some small chips in the cowl paint... but just that and the gear after a 60 foot drop into a flat pancake landing.

So is this the right page? http://www.graphtechrcshop.com/product.sc?productId=610&categoryId=34

Their gear is more expensive than 3dhs....? which would make sense based on supply/demand :D

Yes that looks like the correct gear - don't throw your old ones away as I'm thinking you might have to use it as a drilling guide. Yup a little more expensive but worth the few bucks to have my bird in the air for the few weeks or months it takes 3dhs to restock.

njswede

150cc
Got the firewall shortened for my PTE36. Was not as hard as I imagined. I was able to cut off 1" of the firewall with my Dremel Multi Max. What an amazing tool. If you do not have one you need one. Cuts, sands and God knows what else it does.

My engine ended up 1/8" too deep on the cowl. I planned that if it was off it would be too deep so I could shim it out with fender washers.

Now to see if the added power of the 36 will cause a wing failure! Not likely for an older circle flyer with 40 years under his belt just learning 3D! With the added horsepower the plane is going from my 136oz Hitec Servos to 7955TG Servos. It should feel like a new plane!

Haha, a tip from another old fart who can't fly 3D: Be careful! The 72 is a BEAST on the PTE36.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

Congrats! I knew you could handle it :D

maxx4wd

50cc
Would like to say I never hit the kill by accident but I did on the maiden of my 70" Slick some years ago. I was brutal to myself over that one! t was my first gas plane. Never had that happen with glow lol! They just quit on their own. Have done it since as well but usually catch it in time to not kill the engine completely.

I'm with you - I chose to run a suspect motor with a crap friction prop adapter and sure enough I threw it off a minute into my maiden flight. We all do dumb crap - it's all part of flying. The trick is to learn from our mistakes (maybe even from others' as well). I'm not even going to post what I just did to my 57 after just repairing it and running a cheap rx.

Torchy

New to GSN!
Choices on kv

Ok. Ok.
This is getting tense for me... now my options are with motrolfly on 6s
4330 380kv @20x10
4330 400kv @19x10
5320 ???kv @19x10

The 74" edge blog says 400kv for more punch in speed envelope
And the 71" slick blog says 5320 for similar performance as the 400kv but with extra assurance during hotter days.

Analytics are getting narrower but I'm sure ready to pull the trigger on one of them.

Cheers