• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

I have one of the original V1 Extras. I have an MLD28 in it and am changing it to a PTE36. Looks like I will have to move the firewall back to accommodate the length of the engine. I need 6 3/8" or so firewall to spinner backplate but only have 5 1/4" My original Slick 70" also has 5 1/4" but my 71 Slick has 6 1/4" or so. Looks like the newer 30cc planes have the firewall back another inch or so.

Any suggestions on the firewall mod?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
The v1 planes were made to fit the side carb dle 30. When the rear carbs came out and ran better they moved the firewall as you noted. My 70 slick had the same issue and we cut it off and moved it back. It really wasnt as hard as you might be imagining it to be.

Measure back from the front of the firewall on all four sides exacly the same distance. This will maintain the thrust angle for you. Make lines on each side of the motor box accordingly.

Make your cuts as straight and precise as you can. Take your time and use a fine tooth saw that you have good control over. It might be nice to have someone help you hold things as you get close to completing the last cut. You dont want it to break off.

Debond the original firewall from the peices you cut off the sides. Make notches in the motorbox to receive the tongues. Make the fit into the newly cut motorbox so the firewall is flush on all sides.

Glue with thick CA. This is to tack it into place so you can reinforce it.

Add angle stock to the inside with epoxy around all four inside corners. You may end up utting into this a little when you mount the motor but it isnt a big deal.

Add a layer of fiberglass on the outside of the motorbox that completely ties it all together. Babysit it as it cures to make sure it is laying down nice.

Done.

Mine was super strong and survived many "incidents."

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just sent the autocad file to him with my measurements, but I haven't heard back on the cost - looks like the 71" Slick gear is priced at $40 so I'm hoping for about the same. Mike did say that it'll take him about a week to make the mold up and get a few pieces made - good thing is that we won't have to rely on the items being available from 3DHS.

Ordered my Motrofly 4330 - 298kv motor today as well...looks like she will be in the air in a few weeks - no worse for the wear...
@maxx4wd,

Any progression on this? I delaminated both sides of my gear today in a pancake landing... (Accidentally hit the engine kill switch while learning my new Aurora 9x radio).

maxx4wd

50cc
@maxx4wd,

Any progression on this? I delaminated both sides of my gear today in a pancake landing... (Accidentally hit the engine kill switch while learning my new Aurora 9x radio).

Yes the product molds have been completed and posted to their web store. I've been out if town for a few days but before I left Mike said that it'll be about a week before he will have a decent amount of stock but you can back order them and they will ship as soon as he's done with them. (Guessing mid week). Thanks for reminding me I have to order my set as well.

Sorry to hear about the aurora switch mix up.

Tony