• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

Mach3

30cc
I've mostly use & really liked Hitec servo's plus I can get them locally to shop my LHS rather the order the Savox's online as no one locally cares them.
With this being said I can't seem to find a Hitec that match's the Savox in speed. Also what voltage do you run your servo's at & are the stock arms long enough ?

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've mostly use & really liked Hitec servo's plus I can get them locally to shop my LHS rather the order the Savox's online as no one locally cares them.
With this being said I can't seem to find a Hitec that match's the Savox in speed. Also what voltage do you run your servo's at & are the stock arms long enough ?

The Savox I have run on 6.6 life packs or 6.5v regulated from a BEC.
The new SA series come with usable arms for airplanes. Check out our review for more info here: http://www.3drcforums.com/content.php?224-Savox-SA-1258TG-Aircraft-Servos

The Hitec quality are just as good, so either one will work fine.

I use Hitec 5565MHs in all my 30cc planes which are the closest specs. They have a bit more torque, slightly less speed, and can be had for $60 with tower coupons. We have had to send two of them back for service out of the 16 or so Patrick and I have, but Hitec repaired them for free. Only Horizon rivals Hitec service for servos.

I have gotten service work from Savox, but it is more involved and slower. Futaba makes great stuff, just beware of Hobby Services.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBCKR&P=7

IF you want a eye to the future, 7954SHs are $75 each if you buy 4 from TBM, and are wonderful.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Flight #19 on this plane is calling for me...

So I purchased a new right wing, and it did arrive quickly and without damage. This was surprising to me, as it was essentially loose in the box with a little brown packing paper.

Unfortunately, I've lost my confidence in the ability of wings to handle my violent pop tops, so I will have to spend some time reinforcing both the surviving left wing, and the new right one, since they look absolutely identical inside. I've heard this is a good idea with this specific airframe, and involves the application of a TON of CA around the receiving tube, followed by a healthy amount of epoxy and an extra piece of wood adjacent to the receiving tube to reinforce the area. I'll post some pics of a before/after.

I also think I'll explore adding a width wise stiffener to the interior of the fuse near the rear anti-rotation pin... can't hurt, right?

CHQ28

50cc
I thought in the V2 they reinforced the weak part of the wing? I have a V1 and got cracks inside the wing and had to do the strengthening that you are talking about. It's held up so far, fingers crossed.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I thought in the V2 they reinforced the weak part of the wing? I have a V1 and got cracks inside the wing and had to do the strengthening that you are talking about. It's held up so far, fingers crossed.

I was told my plane was a V1, but I genuinely thought it was a V2 when I got it.

Here are pics of my surviving left wing (on the left) and the new right wing (on the right). The right wing is still in the plastic bag it arrived in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382671676.048580.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382671698.481801.jpg

I've studied them closely, and can't discern any difference.

CHQ28

50cc
When in doubt might as well reinforce. It doesn't take to long, plus you can't land a one winged plane everytime!:)

Mach3

30cc
Got most of the parts together now just waiting on the Standoffs & the props which should be in next week ;)
I did end up getting the Savox 1258TG, I hope they work as well as Gyro says they do
I really can't wait to try this plane :flyer:

wade

50cc
Hey guys, in searching for a budget minded servo I came across the hitec 5665 and wondered how they would perform in this plane. They are on tower's website for $46.99.