• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" 3DHS Extra 330 Build Log

quadracer

100cc
Got it started today and ran it up a few times. Evidently, the prop adapter and/or crankshaft is bent. Luckily I have another DLE 30 for parts or a spare, so I'm gonna change the prop adapter first and see if the problem is cured. If not, I'll swap the cranks.

I had a problem getting it started, as I changed carbs and the new one was set a little different. I got it to pop with the choke on, but instead of firing up on the next flip, it quit. I used my starter, and had to crank it for about 15 seconds to get it to fire. While I was cranking it, fuel was spewing out the exhaust like it was flooded, but I don't see how flipping it by hand could have flooded it. After it started, I had to hold about 1/4 throttle to keep it running. I'm assuming this means its too lean on low speed, but after seeing the bent prop adapter, I didn't want to run it any more to adjust it.
I'll hopefully get these issues sorted by next weekend, and get a maiden finally.

quadracer

100cc
Finally got to fly it today!! Only one easy tame flight though. After messing with the carb all day, I had enough daylight left for one flight to trim, and luckily it only needed some left aileron trim. Thanks to Hugocraft and Diggity for helping me mess with it while they could have been flying.

quadracer

100cc
Well, since it is a 3DHS airframe, I reckon "flies great" is the standard, and needs not be said... :D
Really though, I had it on IMAC rates and flew a few circles, then put it down. I can't really speak of any particular characteristics yet, as I've only done a few circuits. I don't want to test the waters until I have this engine figured out and not dying. I'm almost sure it's a leak somewhere.

njswede

150cc
Just started my build. It seems the holes in the carbon struts are too small for the landing gear axle bolt. Did you have to drill yours to fit?

[EDIT] Nevermind. Looks like you're supposed to screw it into the CF strut, not slide it through the hole...

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
Yeah, the threaded side slides through the hole, and the strut gets sandwiched between the nut , wheel pant, and flat side of the axle. If I remember right, it was a very tight fit.