• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" 3DHS Extra 330 Build Log

quadracer

100cc
Mostly done now, all I've got left is the canopy screws, and drilling the prop and spinner backplate.
I ran into some issues with getting the cowl on with the Pitts muffler. The rear opening of the cowl isn't big enough to slide over, no matter how I turned it. So, I mounted the factory side-exhaust can, and it fits well. If anyone is running a Pitts muffler, I'd love to know how you managed to get it in there.

I took the opportunity for a family photo op, 57 and 72

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351309862.735777.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351309891.619661.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Mostly done now, all I've got left is the canopy screws, and drilling the prop and spinner backplate.
I ran into some issues with getting the cowl on with the Pitts muffler. The rear opening of the cowl isn't big enough to slide over, no matter how I turned it. So, I mounted the factory side-exhaust can, and it fits well. If anyone is running a Pitts muffler, I'd love to know how you managed to get it in there.

I took the opportunity for a family photo op, 57 and 72

View attachment 2679
View attachment 2680

Do you have any close up pics of the muffler trouble you had, and what you ended up doing to solve it?

-G

quadracer

100cc
Do you have any close up pics of the muffler trouble you had, and what you ended up doing to solve it?

-G

The two outlets on the Pitts muffler are too long and stick down too far to allow the cowl to slide over them. I could have cut them down about 1/2", but I just use the DLE single side exhaust. Hopefully this pic illustrates the difference in outlet length...
This the solution I came up with.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351313008.990569.jpg

Here I'm holding the Pitts muffler at roughly the correct mounted height, and you can see how much longer the outlets are.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351313029.969728.jpg

How do you guys cut your cowls? Do you use canopy scissors? I chipped the paint around mine a little bit. Nothing that really bothers me, but I'd like to avoid it in future builds..

quadracer

100cc
Si. I had a Dremel tool at my in-laws' house, but it hasn't made it to my house for some reason or other...

Oh, I still have to swap the factory Savöx arms on the ailerons for the 1.5" aluminum units I got. 25° is all I could get from the short plastic arms. NOT gonna cut it. :D

I'm getting enough throw on rudder to touch the elevator (while at "neutral"), and bevel-to-bevel on the elevator.

I can't wait to fly this thing!

The two outlets on the Pitts muffler are too long and stick down too far to allow the cowl to slide over them. I could have cut them down about 1/2", but I just use the DLE single side exhaust. Hopefully this pic illustrates the difference in outlet length...
This the solution I came up with.
View attachment 2681

Here I'm holding the Pitts muffler at roughly the correct mounted height, and you can see how much longer the outlets are.
View attachment 2682

How do you guys cut your cowls? Do you use canopy scissors? I chipped the paint around mine a little bit. Nothing that really bothers me, but I'd like to avoid it in future builds..
I had same issue using a Pitts muffler on a DLE 30 in a 71 Slick. My solution: I drilled two small holes in side of cowl in line where the muffler mounting bolts are. Then. I slide the cowl over engine and unattached muffler. Once cowl is in place, I bolt the muffler to the engine using the drilled holes to give access for my Allen wrench.

Frank

teookie

70cc twin V2
Don't know if it will ease the pain or not, but the stock exhaust sounds really good. ;-) And it's loud!

quadracer

100cc
I usually fly at a rarely-used boat ramp parking lot, so noise isn't an issue for me. And if I do go to a field, there's jets that are far louder than anything I'm flying.