• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Watch in 720P
My buddy night flying with the 71.
[video=youtube;2mD9GeON7eI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mD9GeON7eI[/video]
Me flying my slick on a breezy day.
[video=youtube;XGgmGWlv6bg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGgmGWlv6bg[/video]

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I am on Spring Break so I spent half the day out at the field today. Man what a beautiful day it was. Sun shine and low breezes. I doubt there was even a thermal gust that came through over 7 or 8 mph and rarely stayed more than 30 seconds or so.

I got out there at around 1:00 pm. I flew the 51 slick a couple times (wahoo ) and then gassed up the 70". On the second flight I broke my xoar 19x8 prop due to a bit of a hard landing. So, I had no choice but to put the protek 20x8 on. Remember last time I hated that prop on the motor. Well, between the motor breaking in a bit better and the prop being balanced now it was actually a pretty nice combo. I forgot to take the tach with me but it is spooling up higher now and has a pretty decent climb rate out of a hover. It is nothing amazing but I can tell the motor is making more power on every flight and eventually it is going to be really nice. I'm guessing it is turning that prop up to 6500 or more rpms now but I can tell for sure without the tach. The DLE has been so enjoyable after my previous experience. It is realy just as simple as flip and fly for with the occasional tuning required as it breaks in. I think I am in love with it. I finally started to do some 3d with it today It is really starting to inspire a lot of confidence I just want to go out for 10 more flights.

I would have flown a lot more today but my buddy brought his daughter out for some buddy box time on an electric SE5A. I didn't want to put the gasser up and make all that intimidating noise with her trying to learn. Overall it was a really great time. Loved every second except when I broke the prop

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am on Spring Break so I spent half the day out at the field today. Man what a beautiful day it was. Sun shine and low breezes. I doubt there was even a thermal gust that came through over 7 or 8 mph and rarely stayed more than 30 seconds or so.

I got out there at around 1:00 pm. I flew the 51 slick a couple times (wahoo ) and then gassed up the 70". On the second flight I broke my xoar 19x8 prop due to a bit of a hard landing. So, I had no choice but to put the protek 20x8 on. Remember last time I hated that prop on the motor. Well, between the motor breaking in a bit better and the prop being balanced now it was actually a pretty nice combo. I forgot to take the tach with me but it is spooling up higher now and has a pretty decent climb rate out of a hover. It is nothing amazing but I can tell the motor is making more power on every flight and eventually it is going to be really nice. I'm guessing it is turning that prop up to 6500 or more rpms now but I can tell for sure without the tach. The DLE has been so enjoyable after my previous experience. It is realy just as simple as flip and fly for with the occasional tuning required as it breaks in. I think I am in love with it. I finally started to do some 3d with it today It is really starting to inspire a lot of confidence I just want to go out for 10 more flights.

I would have flown a lot more today but my buddy brought his daughter out for some buddy box time on an electric SE5A. I didn't want to put the gasser up and make all that intimidating noise with her trying to learn. Overall it was a really great time. Loved every second except when I broke the prop

That's really awesome Nate! I'm planning for a few lunch time flights (about 18 minutes each) on mine tomorrow, and then plan try out the 19x8 prop on her this weekend. Right now I've got 2/3 a gallon thru, and the break-in is almost done.

3dNater

I'm guessing I have close to a gallon through mine... it is changing a lot right now... in a good way... I think it is almost there :D

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm not sure when I'll be "almost there" I'm just noticing she seems to be running smoother each flight. I've got the bowman ring, and my goal is to get through one gallon of lawnboy fuel, then switch to VP 40:1 and the 19x8

3dNater

I forgot to mention... with the 20x8 on the dle I had unending vertical snaps yesterday. It has plenty of power... just not as much as I was used to with the PTE 36.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just got back from two more lunchtime flights on the 71" Got .86 of a gallon through, and over 2.5 hours of flight time; my goal is one full gallon to break it in. She's still running excellent, with no trouble starting, and nice smooth idle. I've never had her die on me in flight, (knock on wood) and I'm getting pretty confident in the engine. I hope I can sneak out for one more lunchtime excursion with her, so that this weekend she'll be ready for the 19x8, VP 40:1, and a re-tune.

Also, I've gotten pretty close to nailing my pop-tops again with this airframe, still not as many rotations as the electric 70" yet, but I'm getting there.

3dNater

Here is my red bull slick on the new DLE 35ra. I need to adjust the hat cam a bit but I captured most of it... just annoying that you have to see it way off in the right hand portion of the screen... Anyway, enjoy ;)

[video=youtube;_vPiDkcTEDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vPiDkcTEDQ&list=UUVnw4SJdumljd3xQlazPyvg&index=1[/video]