• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

gyro

GSN Contributor
Flew my "new to me" 71" Slick today... very pleased overall. It was the first flight on a brand new DLE30 with a Bisson Pitts muffler, and I used the VallewView RC pre-drilled 20x6 prop. Everything went very well. Started with the needles at 1.5 turns out, and started up very quickly! stopped the motor, made a few adjustments, (x3), then when I was relatively certain the engine at least wouldn't quit on me (no, she's not tuned well yet, but hey, this is my first time with a new motor) I took her to the air. All in all, I got two nice 12 minute flights. The first flight was very gentle, and didn't do any 3d, just some rolls and some KE flying. On the second flight, had a tiny bit more fun, and did some cuban 8's, rollls, loops, inverted circuits, and one short crankshaft/lomcevak. In-flight temps were 175-190 with the thermocouple around the cylinder head, and spiked to 225 briefly after shutdown.
I outfitted her exactly as described above (http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...ng-and-Questions&p=23173&viewfull=1#post23173) and I'm really happy.
The only thing I noticed was a little bit of tail wag, and I'm not sure if that was due to a setup error, or the 5-8kt winds. I'll have to investigate.

-G

edit: forgot to mention, CG was spot on, just a touch of nose down for inverted flight. Also, controls were nice, with only a few clicks of trim on each control to get her trimmed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Nice Gary! What servo arm are you using on the rudder. Remember when mine was wagging in Vegas?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Nice Gary! What servo arm are you using on the rudder. Remember when mine was wagging in Vegas?

I'm using a 1.25" Secraft Aluminum arm... I don't remember yours wagging, what did you come up with for the reason?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'm using a 1.25" Secraft Aluminum arm... I don't remember yours wagging, what did you come up with for the reason?

Well you probably don't have the same issue as me based on the aluminum arm. Mine was wagging because I was using stock circular arms with a CF extension. The plastic wore out on the splines of the servo really fast and introduced play into the rudder. That was the reason I hauled that plane down there, let Wargo fly it a couple times, and then packed it up lol. I never even flew the plane that day due to that issue. Long story short... check for play in that rudder and anything that may be causing it. If that doesn't show anything then I guess your search continues. Like you said it could have just been the breezes.

SteveT.

100cc
For those that might be interested, as I sold out of the first batches I had made, I just made up another batch of carbon Fuselage stiffeners for the 71" Slick. They are $10.30 including PayPal fees and USPS Priority mail in the conus...PM me for PayPal info...

SteveT.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Loving these 18-20 minute flights!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361220673.001446.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361220686.870913.jpg