• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks Mike! I'm also dragging my 74" Edge in the car with my two 70lb dogs!
I've got the 89" Slick in the trailer with the 64" MXS and the 51" Slick. I hope everything survives unscathed!

quadracer

100cc
did some flying today. It's a 70, not a 71, so I hope it still counts...:D The repairs held up, so I'm happy with that!
[video=youtube;Naib-JPW-og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naib-JPW-og[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

hone

150cc
Alright I finally decided instead of replacing my 51" Slick i'm going to use the equipment from that for the vyper bipe and get a 71'' Slick also. I'm going to set it up on 6s 5000-5300s. What motor/esc am i going to be looking at? I'd like to go with a motrofly. Also i heard there are some savox servos for this size plane that are supposed to be pretty good, which ones were they?

SnowDog

Alright I finally decided instead of replacing my 51" Slick i'm going to use the equipment from that for the vyper bipe and get a 71'' Slick also. I'm going to set it up on 6s 5000-5300s. What motor/esc am i going to be looking at? I'd like to go with a motrofly. Also i heard there are some savox servos for this size plane that are supposed to be pretty good, which ones were they?

I agree that a Motrolfly is a good choice motor for this plane...here is a quote from losifanatic about motor/battery choice:

Yo are going to have to pull a lot of amps on 6s to get the same power to weight ratio as yor 51 slick. This is a 10 pound bird not a 3 pound one. Thats one of the reasons l went 8s. Now my 71 slick has close to the same balistic power my motrolfly powered 51 does.

Steve looks like you really like your A60-6XS setup. What prop and what watts/current are you seeing? Did you have to move the rudder servo back to balance?

Losi, thanks again for your advice. You helped me select the Motrolfly on my 42" and 59" Slick as well. I'm probably going to stay with 6S for the 71" so I want to find a setup that will provide best power with 6S without pulling too much current. Would you say 4325-380 work best or go with 5320 or 4330?

I'd stick with what i had if I were you..You can always change kv and cell count later if you just hate it. You can get around 2000 watts with your setup which is plenty for the airframe. I run the 4325-280 on 8s on mine and just love it. But I had the 380 with 19x10 prop and it was great too. The amps are just higher.

+1. I run the 4325 in my old 70" Slick (now sold) and the one in my 70" Velox on 6s and at 2200-2300 watts and it is a lot of power on those planes. I really can't see needing more. And the motor comes down at 120-130 even in 100 degree summer heat. Very happy with that.

hone

150cc
Cool thanks. So, going 6s might not have the power to weight the 51'' did on 4s but i'm OK with that. My 51'' was almost stupid overpowered anyways. I guess i'll get a 4325-380. I would go 8s but i don't want to run batteries in a series in this size plane. Maybe i'll look at setting up a 12s 50cc bird later for that.

gyro

GSN Contributor

Congrats Joe! I' run the Motrolfly 4325-280 in mine on 8s, but for 6s I'd suggest running a 4325-360kv-380kv so you can spin a 19" prop. As for the Savox servos, they're SH-1258TG, but you can usually find it's re-labeled twin, the Align DS-610 available in the classifieds new (or nearly new) for $45 or so. I have the Aligns in mine, and they are VERY FAST and strong. Great servos!

Good luck!

-Gary

hone

150cc
Congrats Joe! I' run the Motrolfly 4325-280 in mine on 8s, but for 6s I'd suggest running a 4325-360kv-380kv so you can spin a 19" prop. As for the Savox servos, they're SH-1258TG, but you can usually find it's re-labeled twin, the Align DS-610 available in the classifieds new (or nearly new) for $45 or so. I have the Aligns in mine, and they are VERY FAST and strong. Great servos!

Good luck!

-Gary

Thanks a lot Gary! I'm excited for the 71'', it will be my biggest plane yet.

SnowDog

Thanks a lot Gary! I'm excited for the 71'', it will be my biggest plane yet.

I'm in a similar situation Joe, I've got a 65" Vyper which is my biggest electric plane to date. I've got a 71" Slick (gasser) that I'm getting ready to build with a Mintor 33 powerplant...so you'll be putting together an electric 71" Slick at the same time I'm putting together a gasser 71" Slick :)

hone

150cc
Lol, good luck with the gasser. I'm too intimidated to go gas. Maybe for my next 30cc or for my first 50cc i'll go gas. I'm just afraid of those dead sticks. Otherwise i'd be ALL OVER a gas Slick. I wish i could fly for 15-20 minutes straight.

SnowDog

Lol, good luck with the gasser. I'm too intimidated to go gas. Maybe for my next 30cc or for my first 50cc i'll go gas. I'm just afraid of those dead sticks. Otherwise i'd be ALL OVER a gas Slick. I wish i could fly for 15-20 minutes straight.

I'm not worried about dead sticks...if the plane is tuned correctly, it won't do that.
Also, I have a GoldWing Su-26 30cc plane (with a DLE-30) that I've been using as my "learning platform" for gassers :)
Also, I'm grateful to the experienced 3D gasser pilots in my club for helping me learn about gas engines and how to tune them.