• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

64" mxs exp

I can't wait. Just trying to decide what servos to use and how long it will take to save for them. I am thinking 7245's but the price difference between them and the 5245's is pretty significant. This has to be the best BDay present to myself I have ever purchased. I usually just buy myself a DVD or Blu ray and a nice fancy dinner at Red Lobster. This is so much better. The CC is crying a little bit but it will get over it in time.

hone

150cc
The 7245s ROCK, but are not necessary. I mean, i got almost 300 flights out of some 5245s and they're still going strong. They've developed a bit of slop but i think i can rotate the gears 180 degrees and it should tighten up the gear train a bit. It's very nice to have a plane setup with the 7245s but i don't think it's a make or break deal. 5245s will work great and if that'll get you flying you'll be happy. If you do get the 7245s i can tell you that IMO the performance difference is noticeable and worth the extra cost. Most people get them from tower and use the $30 off coupon and get free shipping.

Thanks for the info. I think I will hold out and get the 7245's then. I would rather go with the best then having to replace gear down the road. Although the price difference is huge at least to me. About 120.00 bucks. Now I am not sure what to do. Crap. Maybe I should just go with the 5245's.

hone

150cc
Regardless of servo choice i can at least tell you that you won't be disappointed with the airframe :D It's a beast!

Thanks. That is what really matters.

EDIT: I have decided to go with the 5245's and if I just cannot stand them I will sell them off and get the 7245's. I just want to fly this plane so bad it is not funny. 5245's it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just placed order for green one yesterday did not order power combo because was planning on trying some hv servos thought I would buy castle esc and set voltage to 7.5 and it opens another debate on witch motor to buy I have torque in my 60" extra love it and motorfly in 48" edge and love it both motors I think are great what to do !!!!!!!!

I can't wait till ups man shows up this week

hone

150cc
I just placed order for green one yesterday did not order power combo because was planning on trying some hv servos thought I would buy castle esc and set voltage to 7.5 and it opens another debate on witch motor to buy I have torque in my 60" extra love it and motorfly in 48" edge and love it both motors I think are great what to do !!!!!!!!

I can't wait till ups man shows up this week
Well if you didn't get the power combo i think the motrofly runs cooler than the torque but the torque has slightly more power. The motrofly is going to need a 100 amp ESC to run a 16'' prop and the torque only needs an 80 amp ESC. If you get the torque i'd recommend using a 15x8 or 16x7. They say you can use a 16x8 but there isn't really a noticeable difference between 16x7 and 16x8 in performance but you draw less amp with a 16x7. I've been running the torque since the plane came out and have put 160 flights on it so far and even though i can get the motor to heat up pretty good i've had zero issues with it. I mostly run 15x8s because that's what i like on my 60'' Extra but i throw a 16x7 on every now and then :)

Man i can't wait to take this thing to Lodi Huckfest :flyer:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well if you didn't get the power combo i think the motrofly runs cooler than the torque but the torque has slightly more power. The motrofly is going to need a 100 amp ESC to run a 16'' prop and the torque only needs an 80 amp ESC. If you get the torque i'd recommend using a 15x8 or 16x7. They say you can use a 16x8 but there isn't really a noticeable difference between 16x7 and 16x8 in performance but you draw less amp with a 16x7. I've been running the torque since the plane came out and have put 160 flights on it so far and even though i can get the motor to heat up pretty good i've had zero issues with it. I mostly run 15x8s because that's what i like on my 60'' Extra but i throw a 16x7 on every now and then :)

Man i can't wait to take this thing to Lodi Huckfest :flyer:

Joe, the 100a for the motrolfly 4315-480 may be a little higher than necessary, but definitely a safe approach. I ran my Edge for 30 some flights on a 70a ZTW and a 16x8, and it did fine. Running my MXS with its smaller cooling holes, the ZTW got hot so I put in an Align 70a with the big metal heatshrink around it, and voila, working great (also with the 16x8 right now).

On another note, my MXS was getting quite a few looks at the Hucktoberfest yesterday. I didn't get to fly her because I was too busy snapping pics and flying my big 89 gasser, but I'd say she made an impression on quite a few folks out there.