• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

60" Edge EXP Build and Fly

Dchimmi

New to GSN!
I sealed the gaps on mine as well and like you said the roll rate is very fast, I like it and mine is with the SFG as well. I am not sure if the roll rate is from the gap sealing or the plane design but I am one happy flyer as well.

Maidened mine yesterday, and wow, what a machine! =) This is just far above excellent! I used the Xoar 16x8, but forgot to take the temperatures after the flights, a lot of people at the field. It was -3-5 Celcius so wasn't to worried. I think I have to order another one just to have it ready to move all the equipment over, this is just too confidence-inspiring, and I'm sure I'll be too low sooner than later... ;)

Thanks to Ohio AV8TOR for a very good building blog. Only thing different was that I have the "standard" motor mount for the Motrolfly, and had do drill new holes in it, some fiddling about and done. =)

Anyhow, what's the best technique to seal the gaps? I have blenderm tape, but has so far just used is as hinges for indoor/parkflyer/depron things.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maidened mine yesterday, and wow, what a machine! =) This is just far above excellent! I used the Xoar 16x8, but forgot to take the temperatures after the flights, a lot of people at the field. It was -3-5 Celcius so wasn't to worried. I think I have to order another one just to have it ready to move all the equipment over, this is just too confidence-inspiring, and I'm sure I'll be too low sooner than later... ;)

Thanks to Ohio AV8TOR for a very good building blog. Only thing different was that I have the "standard" motor mount for the Motrolfly, and had do drill new holes in it, some fiddling about and done. =)

Anyhow, what's the best technique to seal the gaps? I have blenderm tape, but has so far just used is as hinges for indoor/parkflyer/depron things.

Blenderm tape is easy and effective. That is what I've used on all my 60" and below. Using small strips of either matching color or clear ultracote is the other method, which is was I do from 70" on up.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Blenderm tape is easy and effective.
I have mostly used Blenderm but on my Edge 540 I tried something different and found it much easier to work with than the Blenderm, I used clear packing tape and it so much easier to work with and crystal clear.

Dchimmi

New to GSN!
Blenderm tape is easy and effective. That is what I've used on all my 60" and below. Using small strips of either matching color or clear ultracote is the other method, which is was I do from 70" on up.

I have mostly used Blenderm but on my Edge 540 I tried something different and found it much easier to work with than the Blenderm, I used clear packing tape and it so much easier to work with and crystal clear.

Thanks, but I don't quite get the technique you are using? On some sailplanes I saw at the previous club, they used clear packing tape, taped at the wing or stab itself, and then folded back to tape itself and fill the gap between wing/stab and that particular control surface. I did it on one model, but didn't get it as good as I'd like. Do you have a picture to explain maybe? And also, when using the blenderm tape, do you set the control surface to max deflection, add the blenderm tape, and then release? Or how is it? Also, are there any noticeable benefits on these size planes? Just trying to learn.. =)

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Clear ultracote is my method of attack... can't even tell its there. easy install.

Dchimmi, just try to get it to were you have enough to get no binding. When installing ultracote I open hinge line as much as I could and get it into the angle change.

Dchimmi

New to GSN!
Clear ultracote is my method of attack... can't even tell its there. easy install.

Dchimmi, just try to get it to were you have enough to get no binding. When installing ultracote I open hinge line as much as I could and get it into the angle change.

Hey, you're here too! =)
Thanks, not sure if I'll do it in the nearest future, I'm not quite "there" yet with my flying. But trying to learn all the time.
Happy flying everyone, the Edge is still keeping me smiling. :D

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Thanks, but I don't quite get the technique you are using? On some sailplanes I saw at the previous club, they used clear packing tape, taped at the wing or stab itself, and then folded back to tape itself and fill the gap between wing/stab and that particular control surface. I did it on one model, but didn't get it as good as I'd like. Do you have a picture to explain maybe? And also, when using the blenderm tape, do you set the control surface to max deflection, add the blenderm tape, and then release? Or how is it? Also, are there any noticeable benefits on these size planes? Just trying to learn.. =)

Using the packing tape I did this with no linkage on the control surface so it could move to maximum deflection. I cut a 2" wide strip of tape about 8" long (easier to work in smaller sections) and somewhat folded in back on itself to make it easier to start on one of the surfaces first. Then while holding the fold back push down with your finger untill it is sealed down to the hinge line and then allow to work up the other side. The lightly score with an xacto knife and pull away any excess. Do another stip just every so slightly overlapping the other and thats it and it will be invisible.

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Sounds like the easiest method yet. I use ultra cote and just cut a thin strip (3/4"?) and lay it into the gap, then seal from one end to the other with a trim iron. It works well as well, but you need ultra cote and a trim iron. With Ohio's idea...you need a $2 roll of packing tape and a pair of scissors (ok...AND an xacto knife :D)

I'm trying that method next.
Do you lay a strip on the other side to prevent the tacky side from picking up dust/dirt?

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sounds like the easiest method yet. I use ultra cote and just cut a thin strip (3/4"?) and lay it into the gap, then seal from one end to the other with a trim iron. It works well as well, but you need ultra cote and a trip iron. With Ohio's idea...you need a $2 roll of packing tape and a pair of scissors (ok...AND an xacto knife :D)

I'm trying that method next.
Do you lay a strip on the other side to prevent the tacky side from picking up dust/dirt?

I've done it like you describe, with the ultracote and a trim iron...

BTW, MARK! Hope you're doing well buddy, haven't seen you here in a little bit. :)

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Thanks Gary-I've been slammed with work. Only enough time to read. I'll be back more frequently now- snake had to swallow a rat...hope to get more time in the air as well, soon!