• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Have you ever tried Stits and then painted it. I know you are a painter so you are much better than me. But when painting a plane I found when I glassed and used Stits the colours always matched better. Maybe I am doing some thing wrong that I am not aware of.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Have you ever tried Stits and then painted it. I know you are a painter so you are much better than me. But when painting a plane I found when I glassed and used Stits the colours always matched better. Maybe I am doing some thing wrong that I am not aware of.
The Solartex will be painted along with the glassed areas. I've painted Solartex many times with great results. I have a Great Planes Super Sportster hanging from the ceiling in my garage at home that is about 25 years old. It's covered with either Worldtex or Solartex and painted with automotive paint. It still looks great after being in an unheated, unairconditioned garage for most of that time.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Jetpainter hi there, can I ask you a question. Seeing you are doing as much sheeting as I am presently would like to compare notes with you please. Just finished glueing 74 sheets together that are 48 inches long and 6 sheets 60 inches long. I have experimented with a way that is often mention on this form. That is just taping the sheets and then vacuum banging it. Tryed it on a small piece of curved foam and found that the joint opens a little note it is filled with epoxy and the joint is strong but it was very difficult to sand the joint smooth on a curved surface and the soft balsa on either side even with tape on either side. So I have gone back to edge glueing tapping and sanding the full sheet on large glass plate. This way I have very little or no shading required after vacuum bagging. How are you doing it and if you have any suggestions your help will be appreciated.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
@Jetpainter hi there, can I ask you a question. Seeing you are doing as much sheeting as I am presently would like to compare notes with you please. Just finished glueing 74 sheets together that are 48 inches long and 6 sheets 60 inches long. I have experimented with a way that is often mention on this form. That is just taping the sheets and then vacuum banging it. Tryed it on a small piece of curved foam and found that the joint opens a little note it is filled with epoxy and the joint is strong but it was very difficult to sand the joint smooth on a curved surface and the soft balsa on either side even with tape on either side. So I have gone back to edge glueing tapping and sanding the full sheet on large glass plate. This way I have very little or no shading required after vacuum bagging. How are you doing it and if you have any suggestions your help will be appreciated.
Mine was all done with narrow planks glued on one at a time over stringers attached to bulkheads. Each plank is beveled on each edge by a modified balsa strip cutter. I used CA to glue the strips to the airframe, and Sigment to glue the planks to each other. Sigment sands really easily.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I sanded the top, bottom and trailing edge of the stabs and then finished up putting the glass cloth on the stabs by doing the tips. After the resin cured I sanded the tips and put the second coat of resin on both stabs.

20160110_141326_resized.jpg
20160110_142610_resized.jpg
20160110_162208_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Well progress creeps on. I sanded the second coat of resin with 120 grit and now the stabs are ready for primer. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but they turned out nice and smooth.

I also started getting the wings ready for covering. Last night I removed all the aileron hinges on one wing. I hate that job. It's not that it's that difficult, just a pain. The ones in the open bays are easy, just melted them from the hinge side then give them a twist from behind and pull them out. Some of the balsa blocks they were glued into were cracked or barely attached so I'll need to deal with that as well.

The next step is deARFing wing by fixing the wide gaps in the ailerons at each end and filling all the seams and bad spots to make a nice smooth surface for the Solartex. ARF companies do a pretty good job for the most part, but if I'm going to go through the work of covering and painting I want them to look better than they did when they were on the Yak 54.

20160120_200647_resized.jpg

20160120_200655_resized.jpg

20160120_200733_resized.jpg

20160120_200815_resized.jpg

20160120_215131_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it is looking good would like to be a little closer and be able to run my hands over the surface and see how good it feels and discuss it with you, nice work.