• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50% Dalotel 165

Here is the story, yesterday was at the field where I had left my trailer and dalotel inside, and I had minor issues with the landing retract programming, so I set one wing on a table and went about programming the radio for that particular wing, and it worked to perfection, then I put the other wing on the same table set up, with the gear down , so far so good, it was a very windy day, and this wing is large and weighs 27 lbs. I left the set up for a few minutes to help my friend , when I came back the wind had caught it and over it went , no damage to the wing but the way it fell on the landing gear, it bent the main shaft which is 5/8" aluminum . After many attempts to remove it, I decided it was time to bring everything home which I did , and is still in the trailer will set the wing in the shop, remove the gear leg and see what can be done,
you build big, expect big problems when there are.

and Here is the problem,

Attachments

• DSC_0457.JPG
    DSC_0457.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_0458.JPG
    DSC_0458.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 241

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
All I can tell you that I have 40 lbs plane and it can snap 3/8 grade 5 bolts like they are made out of butter. I would really be concerned with 5/8 aluminum rod.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm hoping that 3/8 is a typo. The shear strength of even a grade 2 3/8 bolt is several hundred of pounds.

Sorry to say it is not, I did shear off both wheel axle bolts and they were 3/8 diameter. I agreed with you did the math and it should never fail should have snapped the fuselage in half before the bolts fail but it bib not. Both axles failed and did no damage to the plane at all. The bolts must have been made out of banana steel.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry to say it is not, I did shear off both wheel axle bolts and they were 3/8 diameter. I agreed with you did the math and it should never fail should have snapped the fuselage in half before the bolts fail but it bib not. Both axles failed and did no damage to the plane at all. The bolts must have been made out of banana steel.
No doubt, that must have been some fine Chinese steel to snap that easy.

Those must be some giant wheels to take a 3/8" bolt for an axle. A 5" White Rose only uses a 1/4" axle.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
No doubt, that must have been some fine Chinese steel to snap that easy.

Those must be some giant wheels to take a 3/8" bolt for an axle. A 5" White Rose only uses a 1/4" axle.

They not that big they are 8 by 1-1/2 but I did machine out the hubs and installed small needle bearings into the hub and the bearing has a 3/8 diameter hole. I agree it some real genuine Chinese steel for sure.
0E2A70C5-FF5B-492C-97E2-FB81C5A1E2E3.jpeg