• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3W 220 CS

aarestor

70cc twin V2
Just came into one of these, it is on a new 118" Carden Extra. Plane is not finished and engine has KS pipes and headers with it. Everything is new but not finished. My question is this engine seems a little big for this airframe. I also have a DLE 170, which I thinks is better suited for this airframe. So my question is what airframe would you look for for this engine? I plan on using this only for IMAC.

aarestor

70cc twin V2
Keep the suggestions coming. PAU was one that I have been looking at. Am I right to think the 118" Carden is too small for this engine?

Yes and no. You have to cut the firewall back quite a bit for that monster quad. You would for sure not have a lack of power. But, I will say, the 3W 220 is going to be about 4# heavier than the 170.

If it were me, I would stick the 220 in a 124" Carden Pro or a Dalton 300, for kit built airframes.

For ARF airframes, look for an EG Raven. Ive flown the Raven on a 212, and it was a beast. Cant imagine a 220 in it. :)

But in all reality, anything with a 124 or larger wing up to around 130" will work good on the 220.

The Krill, you can get the shorter firewall option. I believe the Comp ARF 3.1M SC, you can get a short firewall option as well. A guy in AZ has the SC with a DA200 in it.

reyn3545

100cc
The CARF 330 SC comes with a short firewall to accommodate a 4 cylinder, and it has a motor box extension that sticks on the original mounting surface if you plan to use a 2-cylinder. I had the DA200 in mine, plenty of power for whatever you want to do.

I've been thinking about yanking the Moki out of my CARF Pitts and going with a 3W 220 or DA200... I just miss that 2-stroke power!

aarestor

70cc twin V2
Has anyone on here actually owned and flown this engine? Just would like to know what to expect.

John Drake, owner of OMP has the 220 in his EG Raven. To say it is a beast, is an understatement. It is ridicules on power! Especially is you are going with tuned pipes like the KS 1090's. :) Loves a 34x12 2 blade.

Another good friend of mine, Garrett Morrison in Cali has the 220 CS in his birds. Brutally powerful! Sadly, he is still on FG......

aarestor

70cc twin V2
With the weight of this engine I think it should be on an airframe that is at least 124". The Caredn I have is only 118", so I think the wing loading would be too high. Opinions???