• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3W 106 strange behavior

jon595

50cc
Is yours still the plastic material? I made the switch to aluminum reed cages and carb mounts on both of mine 3 years ago and no problems since.

thurmma

150cc
I switched to the aluminum also, but evidently got a couple that were just bad enough to cause a slight leak :)

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Loving my 106 these days, purring like a kitten. I use canisters and don't rip the prop so it stays quiet. Working on my low down the runway knife edges and I smile on every pass. Such a smooth quiet powerful engine. I'm not touching the needles ever if it continues to perform like this.
I had a club member ask me this weekend what engine and I using and what did I do to get the engine to run so well. I told him that I send it to AI if it needs attention.

I have a new to me 3W 106 TS that I need to run. I may mount it on my Corvus, since my DA 120 is acting weird....... Shuts off 3 minutes into the flight coming out of a pop top. And before anyone says to idle up..... I idle up quite a bit. Wondering if I'm getting an airleak in it somewhere.... Transistions fine on the ground and in the air. Cylinders felt hot the other day when I flew it, so I richened the H up 1/8 turn.

But anyways, back to the 3W...... I'd love to try that 106 TS! It is mounted in my 35% Carden! I'm gonna prop down to the 28x9W Falcon CF and see how it twists it up! :)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I have a new to me 3W 106 TS that I need to run. I may mount it on my Corvus, since my DA 120 is acting weird....... Shuts off 3 minutes into the flight coming out of a pop top. And before anyone says to idle up..... I idle up quite a bit. Wondering if I'm getting an airleak in it somewhere.... Transistions fine on the ground and in the air. Cylinders felt hot the other day when I flew it, so I richened the H up 1/8 turn.

But anyways, back to the 3W...... I'd love to try that 106 TS! It is mounted in my 35% Carden! I'm gonna prop down to the 28x9W Falcon CF and see how it twists it up! :)
Not to impede the 106 but....On your 120 did you look at the plugs lately. Mine had a lot of aluminum deposited from the break in. Maybe time for a fresh set. Had a similar DS but I did forget to go idle up when I saw the switch down:(.

I dunno..... Never looked at them before I installed the motor. I did see a fuel drip on one of the carb mounting bolts tho.......

I'm not pressed on it. If it continues to throw me fits, I will swap it for the 106 and go from there.