• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC

SteveT.

100cc
True....it isn't inexpensive....and you don't get the flight time, but for me, it just works out best.....But I was just commenting about the horse power....:D :D

SteveT.

hosam

70cc twin V2
How much does that q80 with batteries and esc run? I think for the price and flight times, us budget guys will shy away from that option until it becomes more reasonable in price. That motor and esc combo runs more than the airframe!:eek:

Not to mention flight time for a gas motor is 12 to 20 minutes vs 6 on electric... :p

gyro

GSN Contributor
3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC thread

So for this 71" Slick I'm assembling, I want it to be my "everyday" gasser.
As such, I need a battery that can sit in my car all day.
Which is better: Li-Ion, or LiPoFe?

quadracer

100cc
I'd get a small 6-pack cooler, and on days you'll be flying, store the batteries in it with an icepack. Keep the batteries in a Ziploc bag with a paper towel to keep moisture away. That should keep them cool enough.

wamsy55

50cc
My take on gas engines:

First off all of this is all IMO.

As far as 30CC goes. I will more than likely never have another 30CC gasser. I had a DLE-30. It was ok. I had it running good, but it never ran perfect. Though to mention DLE's ignitions were pure junk, and after awhile mine went bad, causing my plane to crash and have radio issues. Now I fly electric 30CC and could not be happier. I personally feel that the planes in this size fly better on electric setups and allow for the best 3D ability.

If I ever feel the need for a gas 30ccer I will use an OS 33 or maybe an EME35 or DA 35. Never again will I touch a DLE-30 again.

While DLE engines work, I think that they are hit and miss to weather your getting a true quality product. Though for a budget build they are not bad.

--------------------------------------

As far as 50cc engines go:

I had a DLE-55 and it ran great. It put out good power and was very reliable. Never quit on me once. Only problem I had was that I had to adjust the timing of the engine a bit after it backfired. The ignition that came with it held up to my surprise. I though I would for sure have to replace it.

Though the DA-60 is 2 times the engine the DLE-55 was. It put out much more power and really made a difference in performance. More power, and a bigger prop made my 89 into an animal. It was harder to tune than the 55, but once tuned it ran better and put out the power overall.

Though the DLE-55 is a good option, I would buy another if I didn't already have a DA-60.

100CC and above:

I have never owned a DLE-111 but have flown some and they have run good. I have never heard of any real issues with them.

Though on planes like the 104" Slick which I have flown on a DLE-111 and DA 120, the 120 kicks its butt. Gotta love the power and reliably it gives.
Both engines flew the plane well, so it really is a matter of budget, but the extra performance of the 120 is awesome.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention how I can send in an engine and get it repaired by DA for a decent price! I sent in my DA-60 and DA-120 and they were fixed and good as new. That is pretty sweet if you ask me.

Now when it comes to gas vs electric:

Anything below 30cc is a sure bet I will run electric. 6s for most of my setups as I do not have a bunch of 4s 4000 packs.
50CC: I plan to try out a 50CC electric soon. Two batteries is doable(12s 5000), but the flight times will suffer. I will use a Motrofly when that finally arrives :D. I really hope to compare it to a gas setup and see how I like it.
100CC isn't doable for me for two reasons.
1)
The Da-120 makes amazing power with better flight time, and is lighter.
2)
And I want better flight times than 4 minutes. Not to mention, that there are not many choices for motors currently.

Hope this helps anyone looking into power there airplanes.

Santi8

70cc twin V2
Re: 3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC thread

My take on gas engines:

First off all of this is all IMO.

As far as 30CC goes. I will more than likely never have another 30CC gasser. I had a DLE-30. It was ok. I had it running good, but it never ran perfect. Though to mention DLE's ignitions were pure junk, and after awhile mine went bad, causing my plane to crash and have radio issues. Now I fly electric 30CC and could not be happier. I personally feel that the planes in this size fly better on electric setups and allow for the best 3D ability.

If I ever feel the need for a gas 30ccer I will use an OS 33 or maybe an EME35 or DA 35. Never again will I touch a DLE-30 again.

While DLE engines work, I think that they are hit and miss to weather your getting a true quality product. Though for a budget build they are not bad.

As far as 50cc engines go:

I had a DLE-55 and it ran great. It put out good power and was very reliable. Never quit on me once. Only problem I had was that I had to adjust the timing of the engine a bit after it backfired. The ignition that came with it held up to my surprise. I though I would for sure have to replace it.

Though the DA-60 is 2 times the engine the DLE-55 was. It put out much more power and really made a difference in performance. More power, and a bigger prop made my 89 into an animal. It was harder to tune than the 55, but once tuned it ran better and put out the power overall.

Though the DLE-55 is a good option, I would buy another if I didn't already have a DA-60.

100CC and above:

I have never owned a DLE-111 but have flown some and they have run good. I have never heard of any real issues with them.

Though on planes like the 104" Slick which I have flown on a DLE-111 and DA 120, the 120 kicks its butt. Gotta love the power and reliably it gives.
Both engines flew the plane well, so it really is a matter of budget, but the extra performance of the 120 is awesome.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention how I can send in an engine and get it repaired by DA for a decent price! I sent in my DA-60 and DA-120 and they were fixed and good as new. That is pretty sweet if you ask me.

Now when it comes to gas vs electric:

Anything below 30cc is a sure bet I will run electric. 6s for most of my setups as I do not have a bunch of 4s 4000 packs.
50CC: I plan to try out a 50CC electric soon. Two batteries is doable(12s 5000), but the flight times will suffer. I will use a Motrofly when that finally arrives :D. I really hope to compare it to a gas setup and see how I like it.
100CC isn't doable for me for two reasons.
1)
The Da-120 makes amazing power with better flight time, and is lighter.
2)
And I want better flight times than 4 minutes. Not to mention, that there are not many choices for motors currently.

Hope this helps anyone looking into power there airplanes.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

wedoitall

my buck 50 with sfgs and vortex generators. both made the edge fly like a different plane, they are definitely staying on.

thanks to Joe Smith for all the help and advice.

buck 50.jpg

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Thanks Wamsy. I'm at that 30cc /Gas cross road right now. Here's my take. Having several small EDFs (4s 2200) and a few 40-50 airframes (3 S-1800-2200, 4s 2200), a 60" (6s 3300) and 78" (gas) I've decided for me that 60" and below is electric, above that- gas. 6 cell is a doable charge at the field and at $50-80 is still reasonable. When you start getting into the bigger batts- 5-6S 5000+ to run in series for a 10-12s you are still at the 4-6 min run time and spending $100+/ copy! When you match that up against a 78" airframe with a DA 35 ($450) going up for 10+ min and flying all day on a gallon of gas with no batt charging its pretty attractive. Bottom line it's a personal choice. For me this seems like a sound decision. Anyone? I'm open to opinions. I also know its not all about the money but with a 6 year old and a watchful wife's eye!!! It does matter. Trying to get most flying/ performance for my hobby buck.