• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS Extreme Flight Slick 580 60" Build and review

cam4569

70cc twin V2
Yes sir, I just happened to be looking at it when I got the notification

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cam4569

70cc twin V2
Well here she is :mario-banana::mario-banana:
P5100423.JPG
P5100424.JPG
P5100424.JPG
P5100425.JPG
P5100426.JPG

For size comparison here it is next to the 3DHS 51"
P5100422.JPG

Maiden and the following few flights went extremely well. Take off was a typical maiden, a little exciting at first but with a few clicks of elevator trim and aileron trim all was well. I had the battery a little bit to far forward so the CG was a bit off, however it still flew excellent. @SupaTim was right this plane does not fly like a 60" at all. It feels like a much larger aircraft, extremely forgiving and it floats. Low speed handling was predictable and I did not get any wing rock or tip stall while landing. A quick check of the plane and a fresh battery and all set to go again.

Second flight was a ton of fun. The motor/ESC combo provides amazing power with the 16x7 propeller. This plane will take off into orbit if you want it to with ease. knife edge was a dream, only minimal rudder input was needed. Waterfalls were easy, the tail just snaps right over. Elevators and parachutes were awesome, I couldn't help but laugh when it went from nose down vertical to horizontal in a split second with almost zero wing rock, then slowly elevator down with almost no forward movement, it was like flying a kite. Blenders were quick and flat spins were quick. Knife Edge spins were equally impressive. I had difficulty with the pop top (still learning this maneuver) however turning the TX over to @Bipenut53 relieved that it was me an not the plane (which I knew) fist attempt out of the gate beautiful pop top, the plane snapped up and around then just hung there beautiful in the crisp morning light (okay that is about as poetic as I get).

I am amazed with this plane. It has done everything I can throw at it and so far has held up. I am not gentle on my planes at all and have ripped off tail feathers, control surfaces, battery trays..... The Slick looks like it will take a beating. I can see this will be my go to electric plane. I also heard a rumor that they are making a larger 74 ish size here soon that will be gas or electric.... HMMMM another build to come...

cam4569

70cc twin V2
Could have missed it, but you running this on 5S or 6S? Nice build, BTW.
Yes sorry, I am running 6S 3650Mah, right now I am taking it easy at 6 min flight times. I will continue to watch the battery but I suspect i could get 7 min of fairly hard flying out of it. I have some 4000 batteries but did not want the extra weight

Alky6

150cc
Yes sorry, I am running 6S 3650Mah, right now I am taking it easy at 6 min flight times. I will continue to watch the battery but I suspect i could get 7 min of fairly hard flying out of it. I have some 4000 batteries but did not want the extra weight
Very cool. I have the EF 60" extra with torque motor. Great flying machine! Using 6S 3300 packs with a 15x6. Motor is always cool and get 6.5 minute run times flying really really hard with some room to spare. Interested to hear your thoughts on the 16x7.

cam4569

70cc twin V2
Very cool. I have the EF 60" extra with torque motor. Great flying machine! Using 6S 3300 packs with a 15x6. Motor is always cool and get 6.5 minute run times flying really really hard with some room to spare. Interested to hear your thoughts on the 16x7.
I have the EF Edge 60" and @Bipenut53 has the extra 60" we both run the 16x7 sense we tried them. I have tried several of the 15 with various pitches and they are now sitting in my spare parts box to be used if I am in a pinch. I really enjoy the 16x7, very sensitive throttle response and a ton of power right off the bat. I have yet to get anything more than warm to the touch with the 16x7. I have the airboss 80a in the EF bird as well

Alky6

150cc
I have the EF Edge 60" and @Bipenut53 has the extra 60" we both run the 16x7 sense we tried them. I have tried several of the 15 with various pitches and they are now sitting in my spare parts box to be used if I am in a pinch. I really enjoy the 16x7, very sensitive throttle response and a ton of power right off the bat. I have yet to get anything more than warm to the touch with the 16x7. I have the airboss 80a in the EF bird as well
Thanks! Sounds like I'll have to give it a go! Appreciate the info.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Nice build thread. I got a couple electrics I will be doing and will be trying 15x7 and 16x6 props with a similar wattage power package on 6s. Saw some good info here :attaboy:.